Sign in to follow this  
clb

Syntax highlighting for HLSL code in VS.

I vaguely remember that some years ago in VS2003/2005 and some DirectX SDK version installing the SDK would make VS do syntax highlighting in .fx files. I was under the assumption that this feature was later on dropped, but does anyone know if it is still possible to get the feature back (in VS2008SP1)? What programs do you use to author HLSL code anyways? RenderMonkey? FX Composer? Something else?

I personally just set VS to treat .hlsl files as C++ files. While most keywords are not highlighted, it does take care of indentation and other nice features that make it decent enough to use (not saying the plugin isn't good, or that you shouldn't use it).

Thanks, that's exactly what I was after. Such an useful feature, wonder why the DXSDK team dropped their (existing!) hilighting code from the editor.

In case anyone else is trying it, you need to run VS in administrator mode for it to work. In normal mode, you just get an exception error when trying to edit .fx files and the highlighting doesn't work. (Version 3.0beta)
The author says he's working to fix this to version 3.1 though.

Cool!