Sign in to follow this  

Multithreadding Shader/Buffer/Texture Creation

This topic is 3337 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using DirectX 9c and I heard that multithreadding is not implemented as well as it is in DirectX 10+. Should I turn it on when I want to multithread the creation of my resources (Shaders, Textures, etc). Or should I just leave the creation on the main thread? Thanks.

Quote:
Original post by RealMarkP
I'm using DirectX 9c and I heard that multithreadding is not implemented as well as it is in DirectX 10+. Should I turn it on when I want to multithread the creation of my resources (Shaders, Textures, etc). Or should I just leave the creation on the main thread?

Thanks.
Definitely only create resources in one thread. Multithreading really doesn't work well with D3D9. You can still do decoding and other processing in worker threads, and then just create the resource in the main thread, lock it, and fill it with the data supplied by the worker thread.

This topic is 3337 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.