Own mesh format

Started by
2 comments, last by AmidaBucu 15 years, 6 months ago
Hi there! Becouse I need 3 textures (color, bump, specular) per faces in a mesh, I gotta create an own mesh format that solves my needs. At first time it sounds like a simple task, but what about the mesh-exporter script? How would U guyz solve that?
Advertisement
Why not store those bump- and specular maps in the texture, instead of modifying the model format? Or, a system that associates bump- and specular maps with textures, perhaps something as simple as a filename-based lookup ('texture.tga' uses 'texture_bump.tga' as bumpmap, if there is a _bump version, etc).
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
I have the same problem.

I'm using a binary file format which is based on COLLADA format. Actually I read all data from a COLLADA file and I store it on a binary file. BTW, I'm using and old free open source library called FCOLLADA. I would recommend you take a look at COLLADA DOM.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
Okay, Thx for ur help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement