Sign in to follow this  

Whta is the best Audio File Format to be used

This topic is 3332 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, first of all, to avoid confusion, OpenAL/FMOD/XACT/etc are NOT file formats.

So I want to make sure I understand what you're asking.

Are you talking about the format of the actual audio files? Or are you asking about programming APIs and designer tools?

Quote:
Original post by themadme
So yeah, what is best audio library to use?
'Best' for what? There is no one library that will be better than all others at everything. What are you trying to accomplish? In what respect does it have to be 'the best'?

Define "best". Cheapest? Requires least memory? Uses least CPU time? Best quality? Is easiest API to use? What language are you using?

For file formats, you'll want to use a lossless format for authoring music, then probably a lossy format for the final product to save on space. You could stream raw WAV files if you don't mind the file size - that'd give you best quality and probably least processing time.

Personally, I'm a fan of OGG vorbis. It's free to use, has good compression (Similar to MP3), is pretty quick, and the C++ API is very easy to use.

Sorry i mean to say library's or api. They all can do the same thing, but i was wondering which one is easier to use, which one uses less memory or requires less process, etc.

Also programming C++

thanks

Quote:
Original post by GameCreator
I use BASS because I find it easy to use. It is also a small package and "takes advantage of DirectSound and DirectSound3D hardware accelerated drivers." I don't believe it's compatible with all systems though.

I've heared bass is fine. I'd also understand that DirectSound3D hardware is actually no longer in use by windows Vista. It supposedly still works, but without hardware acceleration. I'm no expert in the field, so I don't know the details exactly, but I think the OpenAL website explains it better than I can.

As far as a sound API, I used to use vanilla DirectSound/DirectMusic, but when I heard about what I mentioned above, I decided to switch to OpenAL. I have also used IrrKlang, which is made by the same creator as the Irrlicht 3d engine. Though it has many similarities with Irrlicht, it can and is used separately. It has a little issue with licensing though. It isn't free. I have used it though, and it is pretty simple to set up. Also, it automatically does some things that OpenAL does not.

This topic is 3332 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.