Programming with mental health barriers?

Started by
21 comments, last by ChaosEngine 15 years, 5 months ago
Hello, my question is this: For someone who has mental barriers (learning, and functioning difficulties), is it feasible, to pursue the path of programming, and ever hope to become a professional? I have been diagnosed with several mental problems, (Paranoid schizophrenia, agoraphobia, social anxiety, depression.) But I have a deep interest and goal in learning to program, and design games. Since my doctors know little to nothing about programming, I thought I'd ask the PROs of GameDev, and see what your honest opinions are. Thanks in advance for your advice.
Advertisement
Agoraphobia and social anxiety will probably only help your computer programming skills :P

But seriously, I do not see why you couldnt program with all that. I however am just some guy over the internet who has never met you. All I can say is try it. You can probably find a way to do it that works for you.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Give it a shot. [smile]

You shouldn't ever let something like that keep you from pursuing your dreams or deep interests. Start programming and have fun.
Quote:Original post by Witchcraven
Agoraphobia and social anxiety will probably only help your computer programming skills :P

If doing programming in a language like C++, so will the paranoia.

I'd be more worried about dyslexia or other such mental stumbling blocks.

The easiest way to find out for certain, of course, is to try dabbling some in programming. Two quick routes to game programming would by Python + PyGame, or C# + XNA.
Nothing on that list should impair your ability to do the core programming tasks (problem analysis, logical thinking, etc). The only thing that might hinder you is the motivational aspects associated with depression. Most programmers I know joke that they suffer from mild aspbergers.

So as far as programming goes, you're good to go. The bad news is that almost all professional programming these days is a group activity. You simply have to be able to communicate and play well with others on your team. Whether your particular difficulties will prevent you from interacting productively is something only you can answer.

If you can master the technical aspects on your own, I'd recommend joining a small amateur team and see how you go.

Either way, best of luck.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
I have ADD, badly-functioning working memory and some learning disability whose name I can't remember, and I'm doing fine as a programmer.

Don't worry about it too much.
"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
Just try? The worst outcome is you fail at being a programmer.

I know heaps of people without disabilities who fail at being a programmer.

Maybe you'll succeed at being a programmer? That would be cool.
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
Quote "Paranoid schizophrenia, agoraphobia, social anxiety, depression."

No. In, fact, you might end up writing a game development and programming book.

Trust me on this.
I had all of those problems too when I was a teenager except the paranoid schizophrenia. I started programming in high school and found out I was really good at it. That gave me a lot of confidence that carried over to other parts of my life besides programming. So I say go for it.
Note: I am not a doctor.

That said, the conditions you describe do not seem to specifically affect learning. Rather, they seem to have an effect on your life in general. Given that, your conditions shouldn't affect your ability to program any differently that your ability to pursue anything else.

Just try it out and see if you find if fulfilling.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement