porting my engine from java to C++

Started by
4 comments, last by Wilhelm van Huyssteen 15 years, 5 months ago
hey im a java bussiness programmer and a hobbyist game dev who has spent the last year and a half creating a game engine in java using (JOGL opengl binding for java) and even though i love java i am realy tired of trying to build 3D applications with it for various reasons including sucky high resolution timing, bad performance (in certain areas) and the fact that the JVM crashes when running a app that uses my engine on my new graphics card apart from the little bit of C++ that was forced upon me at univercity im pretty clueless but il pick it up quickly once i get started. I would like for someone with experience in C++/opengl programming (wich is probely everyone here :P) to recomend to me what tools i need to get started and PLZ dont tell me to use Visual Studio... ive been working in the eclipse java IDE (windows xp) for quite a long time now and i see theres also a eclipse for C++. If its anything like the classic java version of eclipse i'd gladley use it unless you can give me a good reason not to or maybe give me a better suggestion. apart from the IDE what else do i need? a compiler? a debugger? anything else? is there more than one type of above mentioned? is there any particuler type thats better for what i want to do? Thnx
Advertisement
If you want to stay away from MSVS there are a few options as far as IDEs go, Eclipse C++ is a good one especially if you really like eclipse.

Another one, and my personal all time favorite, is Code::Blocks http://www.codeblocks.org

It is a full featured, crossed platform, open source, ball of awesomeness.

When it comes to compilers, GCC is pretty much the toast of the town out side of MSVC++.

Just Google for GCC. If you are on windows, then you will want MinGW which allows GCC to be run on windows very easily. Again, just Google for it.

GCC is not only a compiler, it is the whole tool chain, compiler, debugger (GDB), standard library (unlike Java, there is not one single library that ships with the language, every compiler implements their own standard library), ect...

Hope that helps, and welcome to the wonderful, and painful world of C++ :)
==============================
A Developers Blog | Dark Rock Studios - My Site
Thanx a lot Thats everything i needed to know

now to try and port 10k lines of code :P
Why do you not want to use Visual Studio? It's the best out there.
Quote:Original post by EternityZA
im a java bussiness programmer and a hobbyist game dev who has spent the last year and a half creating a game engine in java using (JOGL opengl binding for java) and even though i love java i am realy tired of trying to build 3D applications with it for various reasons including sucky high resolution timing, bad performance (in certain areas) and the fact that the JVM crashes when running a app that uses my engine on my new graphics card

All of those problems sound common issues with Jogl. Have you tried using LWJGL instead? It's got it's own high resolution timer and in general is much more reliable with a range of graphics cards than Jogl.
i'll look into that thnx

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement