Sign in to follow this  
ArenMook

Depth-only rendering nerfs texture quality?

ArenMook    175
I'm curious if anyone else noticed this strange bug. If a scene is rendered to a frame buffer object with only a depth texture attached to it, all the textures used in the rendering process turn into what looks like 16-bit (thanks to Yann for the correction) from that point onward, even if the scene is never rendered into the said FBO again. If I attach a color texture -- any color texture -- to the aforementioned frame buffer object, then the textures remain unaffected. Here's a comparison picture. Has anyone else noticed this before? I'm on a GeForce 8800 GTX with the latest NVidia drivers, if that has anything to do with it. [Edited by - ArenMook on October 24, 2008 7:49:08 PM]

adam4813    729
Make sure that you have the correct Level Of Detail settings so it knows to draw which level each frame. If its set to draw a certain level with a texture it will still draw that level even if you change render targets.

ArenMook    175
Do you mean the mip-map level? I don't change that at all. In fact, nothing does, other than the FBO having or not having a color texture assigned to it. :|

P.S. Looks like the Intel cards are even worse off. My MacBook's Intel X3100 just plain locks up when rendering only to depth. Works fine with a color texture attached.

[Edited by - ArenMook on October 24, 2008 11:57:58 AM]

Yann L    1802
Strange effect. It looks like it was rendered to a RGB565 texture. I never encountered something like this.

Just to be sure: after you attached the depth texture without a colour attachment, you did disable the color buffer rendering, did you ? Ie. you called glDrawBuffer/glReadBuffer with GL_NONE ?

zedz    291
I have seen this before (a couple of years ago so forget exactly why but it was my mistake)

try glintercept or gldebugger or query what the FBO etc states really are