Sign in to follow this  
Prozak

C++ Trick I can't remember...

Prozak    898
Does anyone know that C++ trick that allowed us to code a function that would be called each time we called a function? Let me explain, in a normal program, Function A calls Function B. Using this system, A would call our pre-defined code, and then B. From what I remember some people used it as a tracer... Any ideas?

Extrarius    1412
Quote:
Original post by Prozak
Does anyone know that C++ trick that allowed us to code a function that would be called each time we called a function?

Let me explain, in a normal program, Function A calls Function B. Using this system, A would call our pre-defined code, and then B.

From what I remember some people used it as a tracer...

Any ideas?
It doesn't work exactly like you specify, but in MSVC there is _penter and _pexit which are inserted in the beginning and end of each function, such that the sequence would be
Function A's Code -> Function B -> _penter -> Function B's Code -> _pexit -> Back to Function A's Code

The distinction from what you said is that the calls to _penter and _pexit are inserted inside function B, so if function B is inside a library that was compiled with different settings, _penter and _pexit will not be called.

osmanb    2082
Similar to the MSVC suggestion from above, gcc supports -finstrument-functions, which will generate calls to user-defined prologue/epilogue functions for every function.