Sign in to follow this  
JQP

For Modders: Games with terrain paging?

Any games in the pipeline with terrain paging/seamless terrain? I was planning on using one flavor or another of UE3 (UT3 unless something better comes along), but the seamless loading turned out to be pre-production hype. (I know about Torque) Btw, anyone know the skinny on the Offset Engine? I haven't heard a thing about the terrain and that suggests "meh" but I'm still curious to know the details (rendering aside - I assume it'll be pretty).

Also curious about Cryengine 2 obviously, how big the terrain can be, if it has terrain streaming, etc.

With streaming there is no limit how big your terrain can be, except for the physical memory on your hard-drive.

As you move around all it does is sample a giant memory map file for a given location. There might be limits within the engine based upon how they do their positioning scheme, ie if they are using a float the precision might become too low as you move further away from the origin, but that's only an issue for space based games from what I understand.

Look at the MMOs which simulate entire virtual continents, which in their case are really just 10x10 km or something in real scale.

I hear Ogre3d has added streaming, you might want to check that out, its a open source engine, pretty good.

Good Luck!

-ddn

Unreal Tournament 3 does support level streaming. It's demonstrated in Gears of War, and there should be some documentation or tutorial out there. I don't believe it works well (if at all) in a multiplayer environment however.