[C++] delete on pointer doesn't call destructor?!

Started by
15 comments, last by streamer 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi all I have a std::vector <T*> vec in my code. I'm adding stuff to this vector using
vec.push_back( new T )
Once I want to remove the content from the program, I use
delete vec.back();
vec.pop_back();
For some reason, this method is not calling the destructor on whatever I'm deleting... Below is the exact code from the project:
// m_state_stack is the std::vector <R2e::State*>

template <class T>
void
R2e::Engine::
changeState()
{
    // Make sure the new state is derived from R2e::State
    BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT(( boost::is_base_of <R2e::State, T>::value ));

if ( !m_state_stack.empty() ) {
        delete m_state_stack.back();
        m_state_stack.pop_back();
    }

m_state_stack.push_back( new T );

m_state_stack.back()->init( this );
}

template <class T>
void
pushState()
{
    // Make sure the new state is derived from R2e::State
    BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT(( boost::is_base_of <R2e::State, T>::value ));

if ( !m_state_stack.empty() )
      m_state_stack.back()->pause();

m_state_stack.push_back( new T );

m_state_stack.back()->init( this );
}

void
popState()
{
    if ( !m_state_stack.empty() ) {
        delete m_state_stack.back();
        m_state_stack.pop_back();
    }

if ( !m_state_stack.empty() )
      m_state_stack.back()->resume();
}
How come that the destructor isn't called on objects once I call delete on the back of the vector?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by c4c0d3m0n
For some reason, this method is not calling the destructor on whatever I'm deleting...

How do you know this? Have you set a breakpoint in your object's destructor that isn't getting hit?
I'm assuming your vector is actually declared as:
std::vector<R2e::State*>
and that your R2e::State class doesn't have a virtual destructor, i.e.
class State { virtual ~State( ) { } };
If the base class destructor is not virtual, then deleting a pointer to the base class will not result in the destructor of the derived class being called.

Otherwise, I don't see any explanation for it not being called.
Not using an IDE, so no breakpoints for me.

I figured it out by having my destructors log something, and this something never appears in the logs.
I've also tried by just throwing in a assert(false); in the destructor, but the program continues joyfully.

edit

thanks emeyex! That was indeed the problem, I hadn't set a virtual destructor in the base class. I'm new to this inheritance thing. Thanks again!
Not using an IDE, so no breakpoints for me.

You should consider using one, if at all possible. Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition is a free download from Microsoft, and it's one of the best IDE's available.

NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
It may be one of the best IDE's available, but it's a sad thing they didn't make it for one of the best operating systems available ;) I'm a Linux user, so no VS for me I'm afraid. I'm perfectly comfortable using an editor and a terminal (plus some hardcoded makefiles) for my little projects.
I'm sure GDB is capable of breakpoints.
Even if you don't want to use gdb directly (which is totally understandable), you can always use a wrapper like Code::Blocks or DDD.
It may be one of the best IDE's available, but it's a sad thing they didn't make it for one of the best operating systems available ;) I'm a Linux user, so no VS for me I'm afraid. I'm perfectly comfortable using an editor and a terminal (plus some hardcoded makefiles) for my little projects.
Then at least pick up some debugger. All of the GDB interfaces I've ever tried suck badly compared to Visual Studio's integrated debugger but they're still infinitely better than using nothing at all.
I must admit that I've been wanting to learn how to use a debugger for a while now. I've never really looked into it, I've always just programmed along happily. Is there any chance that there is any good resources of how to use a debugger? I'm totally in the dark here, since I don't even know exactly what a debugger does, let alone how to use one.

The reason I don't use an IDE is because Code::Blocks or Anjuta haven't really offered me anything that gedit didn't also have (syntax highlighting for example). If Anjuta proves to have a good interface for GDB, I may actually think of converting my project to it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement