Sign in to follow this  
Girsanov

Player-versus-player-only games

Can a PvP-only game (focuses on 1 versus 1) become popular? I have the impression that free roam rpgs (world of warcraft etc) are a lot more popular since the largest market share consists of casual player who might not be keen to play a game that is too competitive. Examples of PvP-only games: http://www.duels.com/ http://www.mygame.com/game/solar-chiefs http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/428473 http://www.ugoplayer.com/games/tacticscore.html

Fighting games are hugely popular. Will some persistent mmo style game succeed like that? I don't think so. Maybe if you provide all the loot,etc at the get go. Or something like m:tg where readily available parts can defeat the high level/rarity stuff if well designed/played...

Meh, doubtful though.

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
Fighting games are hugely popular. Will some persistent mmo style game succeed like that? I don't think so. Maybe if you provide all the loot,etc at the get go. Or something like m:tg where readily available parts can defeat the high level/rarity stuff if well designed/played...

Meh, doubtful though.

I forgot all about fighting games! (Street Fighter etc)

And also popular card games like Magic The Gathering and Pokemon - both PvP only.

Quote:
Original post by Girsanov
Can a PvP-only game (focuses on 1 versus 1) become popular? I have the impression that free roam rpgs (world of warcraft etc) are a lot more popular since the largest market share consists of casual player who might not be keen to play a game that is too competitive.
If by PvP only, you mean something like mortal combat without the arcade mode (vs CPU) then yes, but it wont do as well as one with such a mode. Combat Arms (from Nexon) has no bots, CPU's or whatnot and it's very popular, but not as much as Call of Duty, which has a single player mode. But there is no non instanced, free-roam format at present that doesn't involve some form of "mob" and "grinding off of players" doesn't really work if there aren't a lot of players playing, which you wont have if you don't already have a working system.

Btw, Counter Strike is pvp only, and is a staple of online games. So while you wont get millions upon millions of customers like WoW, you'll still get a fair share.

Quote:
Original post by Zouflain
If by PvP only, you mean something like mortal combat without the arcade mode (vs CPU) then yes, but it wont do as well as one with such a mode. Combat Arms (from Nexon) has no bots, CPU's or whatnot and it's very popular, but not as much as Call of Duty, which has a single player mode. But there is no non instanced, free-roam format at present that doesn't involve some form of "mob" and "grinding off of players" doesn't really work if there aren't a lot of players playing, which you wont have if you don't already have a working system.

Btw, Counter Strike is pvp only, and is a staple of online games. So while you wont get millions upon millions of customers like WoW, you'll still get a fair share.

Oh yes, I forgot about Combat Arms and the ever popular Counter Strike! Looks like PvP-only gaming can be quite popular.

Thanks for the input! :)

Essentially PvP will tend to override all other areas of game play so PvP works when its the primary purpose of the game but people interested in exploration, character building, puzzle solving and social aspects will leave if they can't do any of that without getting Pk'ed every five minutes. Also it works better without a persistent world so everyones is on a equal footing at the start of a game instead of every battle the person with more exp and loot always wins.

I believe a PvP only game could be very successful depending on how it is implemented. You just need to narrow down what you are trying to accomplish and stay focused. I personally am attracted to games that pull this off well since real people keep the gameplay dynamic and me continually entertained.
Quote:
Original post by Cpt Mothballs
Has everyone forgotten Soul Calibur already?

Never. This soul still burns.