game college

Started by
5 comments, last by Telastyn 15 years, 5 months ago
I wasn't sure where to post this so sorry if it's in the wrong section. Is Westwood Online college good for game development? Or is the Game Institute a better choice. Westwood offers a b.s degree but is more expensive but the Game Institute doesn't give a degree but is ALOT cheaper. I would obviously choose to go to Full Sail or Digipen but I can't go on Campus right now, only online.
Advertisement
Meh?

Why don't you describe your situation so we can give better advice? In general, we recommend a good general computer science education if you're going the programming route. They're more mature an environment, and better prepare you for business programming since it's rare for people to stay in gamedev for their entire careers.
all I was asking was whether westwood college was good for game development
He gave you the only answer that wasn't a single word. Nothing is ever black and white; nothing is ever the best or the worst. But if you insist, I'll answer your question by saying "no".
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
My understanding is that Westwood is not taken too seriously in the game industry, especially after airing that
">"tighten up your graphics" commercial, as illustrated by Three Panel Soul.

The college you attend should depend on what you want to do in the game industry. If you want to get into Game Design, you might be better off attending something like the Guild Hall at SMU or trying for DigiPen. If you want to get into animation or level design, attend an art school that has a strong focus on digital media. If you want to do programming, get a computer science degree at a technical college.
hey guys sorry to bump this thread but I decided to stay at NJIT with an IT major and comp. engineering minor. In addition I registered at Game Institute to supplement my studies. Good choice?
Quote:Original post by dk3790
hey guys sorry to bump this thread but I decided to stay at NJIT with an IT major and comp. engineering minor. In addition I registered at Game Institute to supplement my studies. Good choice?

Maybe if you want to be a webapp monkey or a middle manager.

For other's reference:
IT Syllabus
CS Syllabus

And the computer engineering doesn't have a nice listing I could find but is microprocessor design.

If you want to learn how to program, take computer science.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement