Sign in to follow this  
Instigator

MIDI 2 USB

I've got an electronic Piano and I'm looking for a cable that can use the 'midi out' on my digital keyboard to connect to my computers USB port. So I looked around for Midi to USB cables and.. I have no idea which cable to get.. there's cables with boxes on the line.. then there's cables with just the connections themselves. I just want a good Midi 2 USB cables that can be used with a good quality electronic Piano. Any guidance would be appreciated. Note: Below is the link to a cable with one of these boxes I was referring to. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Keyboard-to-PC-USB-MIDI-Interface-Cable-NEW_W0QQitemZ260291939459QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ebayphotohosting

Hi there. I think if you're just looking for the cable connection and conversion, the one you posted looks fine. I'm not familiar with the brand, so I don't much about its quality. I would just do a little more research to make sure you're getting a fine product. I used to work at West Music in Iowa City, IA and they have great customer service (if that's a requirement for you) and are always really helpful with recommendations. Here is a link below to one of their MIDI to USB products.

http://www.westmusic.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=900901&ID=186

The other question I have - do you already have a sequencing program into which you're going to record MIDI? Also, are you also looking to record audio (not just MIDI data) into the computer. Otherwise, I would consider getting an audio interface that includes both audio input/outputs and MIDI I/O (and XLR as well). That way, you kill two birds with one stone and you can get sequencing software to help do all the recording as described above. For a less expensive unit, I would suggest a TASCAM US-122L which comes with Cubase or, for something more high-end, an MBOX2 which has ProTools LE. I've had experience with both and, although ProTools is the more widely used, they both will serve basic recording functions just fine. I hope this helps!

Thanks for your reply.

I'm guessing all I need is the cable because I already bought Cubase Sx3. I'm just not really sure what's good quality and what isn't. and to pay $50 for a cable seems kind of crazy when I've seen ones on ebay for $15.

I know this may be too much to ask.. but I'm looking for something cheap, good quality and purchasable in Canada.

When i wanted to connect my MIDI-keyboard, i purchased an "E-MU XMidi 1X1" Midi-Interface. It is not expensive (about 30 USD i guess), and it worked good for me so far. :)

URL: http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=610&subcategory=611&product=15188

Hope it helps.

I also read that there's sometimes lag from when you press the key till you hear it on the computer.

Would a better cable help this? Or it that pretty much a computer bottleneck.