Problem with .x aninmation

Started by
8 comments, last by Screamer 15 years, 5 months ago
I am trying to implement frank luna's code into my game so I can have an animation system. Currently the problem is the animation moves everything in the world. I would appreciate it very much if someone took a look at my code and told me how to make this work. I think that I might have to transform everything in its own coordinate space or something. I am currently very confused. My game code is here http://wscreamer.fileave.com/brokenanimation.zip Thanks, Screamer
Advertisement
Do you think it would be easier to not use .x files??
Quote:Original post by Screamer
I am trying to implement frank luna's code into my game so I can have an animation system. Currently the problem is the animation moves everything in the world. I would appreciate it very much if someone took a look at my code and told me how to make this work. I think that I might have to transform everything in its own coordinate space or something. I am currently very confused.

My game code is here
http://wscreamer.fileave.com/brokenanimation.zip

Thanks,
Screamer

I can't download your code.
"Currently the problem is the animation moves everything in the world.",what is that ???
the cause might be you are just using one world transform for all the objects in the scene no?
I'm not entirely sure, here is my draw scene code. The set matrix array is what I don't really understand.

in my init I do this

// Scale the mesh down.
D3DXMatrixScaling(&GFX->mWorld, 0.1f, 0.1f, 0.1f);

void Graphics_Engine::drawScene()
{
// Clear the backbuffer and depth buffer.
gd3dDevice->Clear(0, 0, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, 0xffffffff, 1.0f, 0);

gd3dDevice->BeginScene();

//sprite
Draw2DObjects();

//skinned mesh
mFX->SetMatrixArray(mhFinalXForms, mSkinnedMesh->getFinalXFormArray(), mSkinnedMesh->numBones());

//light
mFX->SetValue(mhLight, &mLight, sizeof(DirLight));

mFX->SetMatrix(mhWVP, &(mWorld*gCamera->getViewMatrix()*gCamera->getProjectionMatrix()));
D3DXMATRIX worldInvTrans;
D3DXMatrixInverse(&worldInvTrans, 0, &mWorld);
D3DXMatrixTranspose(&worldInvTrans, &worldInvTrans);
mFX->SetMatrix(mhWorldInvTrans, &worldInvTrans);
mFX->SetMatrix(mhWorld, &mWorld);

//skinned mesh
mFX->SetValue(mhMtrl, &mWhiteMtrl, sizeof(Material::Mtrl));
mFX->SetTexture(mhTex, mTexMesh);
mSkinnedMesh->draw();

mFX->SetTechnique(mhTech);
UINT numPasses = 0;
mFX->Begin(&numPasses, 0);
mFX->BeginPass(0);

mFX->EndPass();

for(UINT i = 0; i < numPasses; ++i)
{
mFX->BeginPass(i);

// drawGrid();
// drawCylinders();
//drawSpheres();
std::list<Model*>::iterator it = modelList_.begin();
while( it != modelList_.end() )
{
drawObject(*it);
++it;
}

mFX->EndPass();
}

mFX->End();

// mGfxStats->display();
gd3dDevice->EndScene();

// Present the backbuffer.
gd3dDevice->Present(0, 0, 0, 0);
}

Also the link should work I just tested it. Also I mean that every object in the world is getting transformed according to the animation transform for tiny.x
So right now I have every object in the world animating acording to tiny.x animations as well as everything in the world static model style. I am wondering if maybe I am building the bone model and it adds in all the other .x models in the scene to the tiny.x model? I am kinda banging my head against the wall trying to figure this one out.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Screamer
Got it working! The problem was in the .fx files. I added a different fx pass to draw the animated model.

for(UINT i = 0; i < numPasses; ++i)
{
mFX->BeginPass(i);

// drawGrid();
// drawCylinders();
//drawSpheres();
if( i == 0)
{
drawSkinnedObject();
}
if( i == 1 || i == 2 )
{
std::list<Model*>::iterator it = modelList_.begin();
while( it != modelList_.end() )
{
drawObject(*it);
++it;
}
}

mFX->EndPass();
}
mFX->End();
So now I have run into the problem that this .x load method only works for tiny.x and not for the animation I have made. Does anyone know why it crashes?

HRESULT test;test = D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX(XFilename.c_str(), D3DXMESH_SYSTEMMEM,	GFX->gd3dDevice, &allocMeshHierarchy, 0, /* ignore user data */ 	&mRoot,	&mAnimCtrl);    

here is the code which i am trying to use to load .x files

SkinnedMesh::SkinnedMesh(std::string XFilename){	INFINITY = FLT_MAX;	EPSILON  = 0.001f;	AllocMeshHierarchy allocMeshHierarchy;		HRESULT test;	test = D3DXLoadMeshHierarchyFromX(XFilename.c_str(), D3DXMESH_SYSTEMMEM,		GFX->gd3dDevice, &allocMeshHierarchy, 0, /* ignore user data */ 		&mRoot,	&mAnimCtrl);	// In this demo we assume that the input .X file contains only one	// mesh.  So search for that one and only mesh.	D3DXFRAME* f = findNodeWithMesh(mRoot);	D3DXMESHCONTAINER* meshContainer = f->pMeshContainer;	mSkinInfo = meshContainer->pSkinInfo;	mSkinInfo->AddRef();	mNumBones = meshContainer->pSkinInfo->GetNumBones();	mFinalXForms.resize(mNumBones);	mToRootXFormPtrs.resize(mNumBones, 0);		buildSkinnedMesh(meshContainer->MeshData.pMesh);	buildToRootXFormPtrArray();}SkinnedMesh::~SkinnedMesh(){	if( mRoot )	{		AllocMeshHierarchy allocMeshHierarchy;		D3DXFrameDestroy(mRoot, &allocMeshHierarchy);		mRoot = 0;	}	ReleaseCOM(mSkinnedMesh);	ReleaseCOM(mSkinInfo);	ReleaseCOM(mAnimCtrl);}UINT SkinnedMesh::numVertices(){	return mSkinnedMesh->GetNumVertices();}UINT SkinnedMesh::numTriangles(){	return mSkinnedMesh->GetNumFaces();}UINT SkinnedMesh::numBones(){	return mNumBones;}const D3DXMATRIX* SkinnedMesh::getFinalXFormArray(){	return &mFinalXForms[0];}void SkinnedMesh::update(float deltaTime){	// Animate the mesh.  The AnimationController has pointers to the  hierarchy frame	// transform matrices.  The AnimationController updates these matrices to reflect 	// the given pose at the current time by interpolating between animation keyframes.	mAnimCtrl->AdvanceTime(deltaTime, 0);		// Recurse down the tree and generate a frame's toRoot transform from the updated pose.	D3DXMATRIX identity;	D3DXMatrixIdentity(&identity);	buildToRootXForms((FrameEx*)mRoot, identity);	// Premultiply the offset-transform to transform the vertices to the bone's local	// coordinate system first, before applying the other transforms.	D3DXMATRIX offsetTemp, toRootTemp;	for(UINT i = 0; i < mNumBones; ++i)	{		offsetTemp = *mSkinInfo->GetBoneOffsetMatrix(i);		toRootTemp = *mToRootXFormPtrs;		mFinalXForms = offsetTemp * toRootTemp;	}}void SkinnedMesh::draw(){	mSkinnedMesh->DrawSubset(0);}D3DXFRAME* SkinnedMesh::findNodeWithMesh(D3DXFRAME* frame){	if( frame->pMeshContainer )		if( frame->pMeshContainer->MeshData.pMesh != 0 )			return frame;	D3DXFRAME* f = 0;	if(frame->pFrameSibling)		if( f = findNodeWithMesh(frame->pFrameSibling) )				return f;	if(frame->pFrameFirstChild)		if( f = findNodeWithMesh(frame->pFrameFirstChild) )			return f;	return 0;}bool SkinnedMesh::hasNormals(ID3DXMesh* mesh){	D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 elems[MAX_FVF_DECL_SIZE];	mesh->GetDeclaration(elems);		bool hasNormals = false;	for(int i = 0; i < MAX_FVF_DECL_SIZE; ++i)	{		// Did we reach D3DDECL_END() {0xFF,0,D3DDECLTYPE_UNUSED, 0,0,0}?		if(elems.Stream == 0xff)			break;		if( elems.Type == D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3 &&			elems.Usage == D3DDECLUSAGE_NORMAL &&			elems.UsageIndex == 0 )		{			hasNormals = true;			break;		}	}	return hasNormals;}void SkinnedMesh::buildSkinnedMesh(ID3DXMesh* mesh){	//====================================================================	// First add a normal component and 2D texture coordinates component.	D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 elements[64];	UINT numElements = 0;	VertexPNT::Decl->GetDeclaration(elements, &numElements);	ID3DXMesh* tempMesh = 0;	mesh->CloneMesh(D3DXMESH_SYSTEMMEM, elements, GFX->gd3dDevice, &tempMesh);	 	if( !hasNormals(tempMesh) )		D3DXComputeNormals(tempMesh, 0);	//====================================================================	// Optimize the mesh; in particular, the vertex cache.	DWORD* adj = new DWORD[tempMesh->GetNumFaces()*3];	ID3DXBuffer* remap = 0;	tempMesh->GenerateAdjacency(EPSILON, adj);	ID3DXMesh* optimizedTempMesh = 0;	tempMesh->Optimize(D3DXMESH_SYSTEMMEM | D3DXMESHOPT_VERTEXCACHE | 		D3DXMESHOPT_ATTRSORT, adj, 0, 0, &remap, &optimizedTempMesh);	ReleaseCOM(tempMesh); // Done w/ this mesh.	delete[] adj;         // Done with buffer.	// In the .X file (specifically the array DWORD vertexIndices[nWeights]	// data member of the SkinWeights template) each bone has an array of	// indices which identify the vertices of the mesh that the bone influences.	// Because we have just rearranged the vertices (from optimizing), the vertex 	// indices of a bone are obviously incorrect (i.e., they index to vertices the bone	// does not influence since we moved vertices around).  In order to update a bone's 	// vertex indices to the vertices the bone _does_ influence, we simply need to specify	// where we remapped the vertices to, so that the vertex indices can be updated to 	// match.  This is done with the ID3DXSkinInfo::Remap method.	mSkinInfo->Remap(optimizedTempMesh->GetNumVertices(), 		(DWORD*)remap->GetBufferPointer());	ReleaseCOM(remap); // Done with remap info.	//====================================================================	// The vertex format of the source mesh does not include vertex weights 	// nor bone index data, which are both needed for vertex blending.	// Therefore, we must convert the source mesh to an "indexed-blended-mesh,"	// which does have the necessary data.	DWORD        numBoneComboEntries = 0;	ID3DXBuffer* boneComboTable      = 0;	mSkinInfo->ConvertToIndexedBlendedMesh(optimizedTempMesh, D3DXMESH_MANAGED | D3DXMESH_WRITEONLY,  		MAX_NUM_BONES_SUPPORTED, 0, 0, 0, 0, &mMaxVertInfluences,		&numBoneComboEntries, &boneComboTable, &mSkinnedMesh);	ReleaseCOM(optimizedTempMesh); // Done with tempMesh.	ReleaseCOM(boneComboTable); // Don't need bone table.#if defined(DEBUG) | defined(_DEBUG)	// Output to the debug output the vertex declaration of the mesh at this point.	// This is for insight only to see what exactly ConvertToIndexedBlendedMesh	// does to the vertex declaration.	D3DVERTEXELEMENT9 elems[MAX_FVF_DECL_SIZE];	mSkinnedMesh->GetDeclaration(elems);		OutputDebugString("\nVertex Format After ConvertToIndexedBlendedMesh\n");	int i = 0;	while( elems.Stream != 0xff ) // While not D3DDECL_END()	{		if( elems.Type == D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT1)			OutputDebugString("Type = D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT1; ");		if( elems.Type == D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT2)			OutputDebugString("Type = D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT2; ");		if( elems.Type == D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3)			OutputDebugString("Type = D3DDECLTYPE_FLOAT3; ");		if( elems.Type == D3DDECLTYPE_UBYTE4)			OutputDebugString("Type = D3DDECLTYPE_UBYTE4; ");			if( elems.Usage == D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION)			OutputDebugString("Usage = D3DDECLUSAGE_POSITION\n");		if( elems.Usage == D3DDECLUSAGE_BLENDWEIGHT)			OutputDebugString("Usage = D3DDECLUSAGE_BLENDWEIGHT\n");		if( elems.Usage == D3DDECLUSAGE_BLENDINDICES)			OutputDebugString("Usage = D3DDECLUSAGE_BLENDINDICES\n");		if( elems.Usage == D3DDECLUSAGE_NORMAL)			OutputDebugString("Usage = D3DDECLUSAGE_NORMAL\n");		if( elems.Usage == D3DDECLUSAGE_TEXCOORD)			OutputDebugString("Usage = D3DDECLUSAGE_TEXCOORD\n");		++i;	} #endif}void SkinnedMesh::buildToRootXFormPtrArray(){	// Get a pointer to each frame's to-root transformation (store in an	// array) such that the ith element corresponds with the ith bone	// offset matrix.  In this way, we can access a frame's to-root 	// transformation with a simple array look up, instead of traversing the	// tree.	for(UINT i = 0; i < mNumBones; ++i)	{		// Find the frame that corresponds with the ith bone offset matrix.		const char* boneName = mSkinInfo->GetBoneName(i);		D3DXFRAME* frame = D3DXFrameFind(mRoot, boneName);		if( frame )		{			FrameEx* frameEx = static_cast<FrameEx*>( frame );			mToRootXFormPtrs = &frameEx->toRoot;		}	}}void SkinnedMesh::buildToRootXForms(FrameEx* frame, 									D3DXMATRIX& parentsToRoot) {	// Save some references to economize line space.    D3DXMATRIX& toParent = frame->TransformationMatrix;	D3DXMATRIX& toRoot   = frame->toRoot;    toRoot = toParent * parentsToRoot;    FrameEx* sibling    = (FrameEx*)frame->pFrameSibling;    FrameEx* firstChild = (FrameEx*)frame->pFrameFirstChild;	// Recurse down siblings.	if( sibling )		buildToRootXForms(sibling, parentsToRoot);	// Recurse to first child.	if( firstChild )		buildToRootXForms(firstChild, toRoot);}    

I try to load my bird animation and this line goes through but gives me a huge negative result. Then it crashes because the root comes back as null.
So I think it might be something to do with how I exported the file because in every sample I try to load the bird animation in it breaks.

here is the file.

http://wscreamer.fileave.com/bird%20animation.zip

oh also it works in the .x model viewer so i'm not realy sure what is up.

Thanks for the help.
Screamer
I've gotten the bird to work in another sample but I am still unsure how to fix the animation code so it works with it.
Thanks for any help,
Screamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement