[SlimDX] Could not load file or assembly

Started by
9 comments, last by KeldorKatarn 15 years, 5 months ago
I am building an application using SlimDX and I recently let a friend try it out during development and her got Could not load file or assembly 'SlimDX, Version=2.0.5.39, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b1b0c32fd1ffe4f9' or one of its dependencies. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. What exactly did I not deploy. He has my application and the SlimDX.dll. Does he need anything else? I first thought he'd need the Visual C++ runtime dlls but I sent him msvcm90.dll msvcp90.dll msvcr90.dll but still the same thing. What dependency is missing? What do I need to deploy along with SlimDX.dll?
Advertisement
Probably DirectX. Try this package.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Is there any simple way of simply xcopy deployment for SlimDX applications?
I'd rather like to avoid the hassle of having every user install several redistribution runtime packages...
That's usually not a good way of doing things for an open source software.
No, because MS doesn't allow you to redistribute their DX binaries in raw form (and they don't even let you redistribute the web installer [sad]). The CRT DLLs should hopefully go away for the November release, but DX is still a prerequisite.

[Edited by - Promit on October 26, 2008 10:36:52 AM]
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:
That's usually not a good way of doing things for an open source software.

I'm curious why you think shipping the raw DLLs is any different than the redistributables? I can see if you are perhaps building a library, but not an application. Why do you think installers are not a good thing for open-source software in particular? What's the difference?

In any case, you don't have too much of a choice here, because you don't have the legal option to package up the raw binaries, as Promit noted.
Well in principle it is a library. I build an application on top of the library but I thought about letting people use the library itself solo too.
Ah well..

Edit: He now installed the lastest DirectX runtimes, Visual C++ 2005 runtimes and to make sure .Net 3.5

He still gets the message...

[Edited by - KeldorKatarn on October 26, 2008 12:15:10 PM]
Sorry for the double post, but does anyone from the SlimDX team have any other ideas what might be the problem?
Well, if you added a GAC reference to SlimDX and copied the SlimDX DLL alongside, that could maybe break it. Honestly, you should probably just have run the SlimDX installer to begin with...
Well someone using my application doesn't have the SlimDX installer. So you mean I'll have to distribute the SlimDX installer along with my application and have every user execute it? What does that installer do anyway?

Edit: And to finally break this down... if I write something, a library or application, using SlimDX... what do I have to deploy along with that library? I thought simply deploying the SlimDX.dll along with it would be enough, that obviously isn't so...
Well, they will have to run SOME installer. The SlimDX installer integrates the VC installer and the DX installer into one package, and also registers the SlimDX assembly in the GAC as a shared assembly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement