Mountain simulation

Started by
4 comments, last by wodinoneeye 15 years, 5 months ago
Hey everyone! A friend and I have to develop a real-time simulation of a mountain area as an assigment for an advanced computer graphics course. I'm looking for games with some kind of mountain level to have an idea of what to aim for. No cutting-edge stuff, something that could be done in a three week period without a lot of experience. Any titles, screenshots or suggestions would be appreciated.
Advertisement
I'm not sure exactly what your assignment is.

Real-time simulation of what exactly, a mountain, a mountain range, a portion of a mountain, the vegetation, wild life, combat on a mountain....

Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
An area with mountains, rocks and vegetation, and at least another kind of object, like animals, people or bodies of water. The user interaction consists of just walking and flying around.
Titles to look at:

Oblivion
Gauntlet series
Fable 2
Final Fantasy series (after 7)
Many MMO's from EQ to Age of Conan.
Off-road racing games, Dirt Bike Games
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
Consider "Serious Sam: The Second Encounter", Valley of the Jaguar level. (
">video) It's great how Croteam handled the size of the levels.

Altitude base color shifting for the basic mesh usuuall improves the look.

Dark brown much at lowest, browns get lighter and greyish upward and white( snow) at highest points. Blue transparent Water planes if you have ocean or a lake or a flat river.

Add grey rock for mesh facets which have a high steepness.

Spotty Greens on flat areas (mid to low altitudes).

Take a look at real contour maps to getr an idea of real patterns fo the mountains...
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement