• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dragon32078

PS3 game tutorials

This topic is 3643 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have tried to do a search for this topic with no luck. I may be using the wrong words to do the searching. I am mainly interested in seeing how these kinds of games access the various input devices, and how it makes sound. I know OpenAl is used for sound, but I am very unfamiliar with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

Advertisement
Due to NDAs, you need be licensed developer to access information about these platforms. Hence no google-able information.

I realize that the NDA's get in the way of public knowledge, and I have no intention of encouraging someone to do so either.

What I am wonderring is are the hardware interfaces proprietary to each developement company? Does sony, say here is some code that works.

I just went through a class here at Full Sail University, and their game did use opengl, but I was suprised to find out that they used a direct input wrapper, which is a facade for DirectInput.

Is there something that you can tell me in regards to how developers create interface(s) to the joysticks on the PS3?

Thanks again,

Kevin

Presumably, Sony provides developers with some kind of proprietary controller API as part of the SDK. It almost certainly includes documentation and also likely includes code samples. I think it's safe to assume that the PS3 isn't using DirectInput for controllers, though.

I noticed that you said assumed twice. Have you worked on any Playstation games? I am sorry if I come across as interrogative, but I want to hear more about your experiences within the industry.

Like this forum suggests I am just a beginner, but I have actually recently asked an instructor the same question in regards to input. He said that playstation developers receive a sdk which allows them to interface with the controllers.

Would you by any chance know, if it is just a matter of money, that allows someone to own a dev kit? The PS3 is probably out of my price range, but I would not mind owning a PS2 dev kit, if at all possible.

Thanks for listening,

Kevin

Nope. Sony has to accept you as a developer first and then you must have the funds to purchase the development kit, but it really isn't as expensive as it once was. I believe the PS3 is now around 10K so the PS2 is probably much cheaper. Sometimes these things show up on ebay, but I highly doubt Sony is happy about that.

If you're interested in developing for the PS2/3, I would suggest you start off developing for the PC and then try and get a job with a company that develops for the PS3.

At the end of day, Sony is going to give you an SDK for developing for the PS3. What that SDK actually contains is rather irrelevent. A decent software engineer should be able to be handed any SDK and start developing software for it in a fairly short time.

Learning to be a software developer is mostly about learning how to learn. Actual programming languages and libraries can be picked up on an as-needed basis.

Quote:
Original post by dragon32078
I noticed that you said assumed twice. Have you worked on any Playstation games? I am sorry if I come across as interrogative, but I want to hear more about your experiences within the industry.

Sorry if I gave you some false hope. I specifically wrote all those "presume" and "assume" in order to indicate that I am just guessing, but I guess I should have been more explicit. I'm a hobbyist, not an insider.

I think Codeka really nailed it by saying that it's just another API, whether you are programming DirectInput or SonyMysteriousControllerInput. Assuming you are familiar with the general area an API covers (say, physics), you should be able to pick up on it in a matter of hours or days at most. Utilizing the Sixaxis for interesting game mechanics, on the other hand, would be a question of game design.

i assume the API's for various actions wont be too different from any others (bearing in mind every company uses tonnes of dif libraries so best just get used to working flexibly)

the main difference with ps3 dev is the cell processor, and you can get used to programming that by putting linux on your ps3.... i added some info to the console forum faq a while back

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!