• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kobaltic

Using Eclipse with j2me

This topic is 3702 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A friend of mine sent me a game and the source. He wrote it in Eclipse with j2me plug in. However I never used Eclipse and I can not figure out how to open the project. I can open up files but not the entire project. I tried opening .project and .eclipseme with no luck. I guess I want to know how import the project. Thanks in advance

Advertisement
You don't really need the project files just to see the code, or even to compile it.

You can use whatever text editor you want for the source code. It is just plain Java. Simply open the text file.

Compiling can be done from the command line. You will have to open up the project files to figure out the compiler options, but it is rather trivial.

Debugging can be trickier. Eclipse is pretty standard for Java and is an okay IDE. It's useful if you intend to debug your code. There are quite a few Java tools out there, your favorite search engine can help you find them.

This is incorrect, plain java will probably not work. JavaME projects often use strange configurations and/or some kind of funky source code preprocessor (that's right!). At the very least, you need Ant to build and package the binaries so you can run them in the emulator.

Get EclipseME (and an appropriate version of Eclipse); you should be able to open the files just fine. You may have to copy the project directory into your workspace directory; but I'm sure your friend can help you with those details). If everything else fails, just ask him to send you a copy of his entire Eclipse directory, including the workspace.

http://eclipseme.org/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!