• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bulletthebluesky

A question about qualifications...

This topic is 3702 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What qualifications(aka BA in Computer Science) would I need to get a job at software/gaming companies? I have heard of 2 degrees that you could get, computer engineering and computer science, but I really don't know much about them. Could someone clear this up for me? Thanks, ~schmatz

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by CryoVenom
If you can show them that you know what you are doing and you can do what they need, education is nearly irrelevant.

You're not going to have an easy time showing them what you can do, though, when your resume isn't good enough for them to even want to look at you.

A BA in Computer Science is generally what people recommend. You'll frequently see that as the minimum requirement for a job. But that will just show that you might be worth looking at - you still need to show that you are better than all those others with a BA in CS. So if you really want to prepare yourself, study as much and as hard as you can, every day.

Computer Engineering is more on the lines of the physical aspects of computers, like working with hardware. Though it'll probably also include quite a lot of stuff you'll see in Computer Science, too.

What they consist of varies from school to school, so I recommend you look into each program at your school of choice to make sure that it focuses on what you're interested in pursuing.

It really depends on the job you are applying for.

I mean, you can get a job at a company as part of the custodial crew and you don't need a college degree.

Assuming you mean a job as a full-time programmer, then you generally need a relevant Bachelor's degree order to keep your application from getting thrown out.

Deciding between "computer engineering" or "computer science" or any other topic is up to you. This is YOUR career. I strongly suggest you get a degree in a field you are passionate about. You might find this thread very interesting to read.

Along with the degree, you additionally need to demonstrate competence in the areas the company is looking for.

This is true regardless of the company.

It also depends on the school. At most schools, computer science is the study of algorithms and data structures and the logic necessary to program; computer engineering is the logic, engineering, and theory required to build a computer. Sometimes though these vary. The most common is where computer engineering is algorithms and data structures and computer science is how to throw together a webapp.

In general, you want algorithms, data structures, logic, theory of computing sort of degree. Math is good. General ed courses (psychology, art, writing, physics) are recommended, but not essential. Electives towards gaming (graphics, AI) are nice, but not always available or essential. A hobby project or work experience is good (and can be great if it's applicable and not-sucky) but not always essential.

That is, if you want the programming route. Game companies increasingly need artists of many flavors who will likely take an entirely different path.

Quote:
Original post by bulletthebluesky
What qualifications(aka BA in Computer Science) would I need to get a job at software/gaming companies?
I did a BA in Information Technology, which along with a portfolio, has got me programming jobs in games and non-games companies.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!