What is needed for game development? (I know it is very beginner, but...)

Started by
5 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 15 years, 5 months ago
I've already got C++ and Game Programming books (though I could always use more) but what other programs and skills do I need? i.e. models, animation, levels, graphics, etc. Preferably recommend free stuff. :) [Edited by - FOXGEAR on October 26, 2008 10:39:22 PM]
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by FOXGEAR
I've already got C++ and Game Programming books (though I could always use more) but what other programs and skills do I need? i.e. models, animation, levels, graphics, etc. Preferably recommend free stuff. :)
C++ is just a language specification; it's not something that you 'have'. Do you mean that you have an IDE, e.g. Xcode or Visual Studio?

Aside from a compiler or IDE, you'll need libraries for graphics, sound, and so forth. For generating content (i.e. models, textures, etc.), there are many free applications available. In fact, I think there's a stickied thread on the topic in the Visual Arts forum.

Of course it will require considerable skill and experience to use these tools to produce an actual game. You didn't mention how much programming experience you have, but if you're only just starting to learn to program, it'll be a while before you can leverage the aforementioned tools to their full potential.

Also, it's worth mentioning that there are much easier ways to create a game than building it from scratch using C++, so don't think that that's your only option.
How many raisins in a piece of fruit cake? What kind of games do you want to make?

If you're just looking for free tools, how about these:

C++ IDE: Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition
3D Modeller: Blender
2D Vector drawing: Inkscape
2D painting: The GIMP
Level Editor: Gtk Radiant

Have fun

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Also keep in mind that while it's good that someone in the domain know the basics of each tools, usually it's not one person who do all. Either you program, or either you do modeling/texturing, or either you are the designer, or the project lead. You can't do a game all by yourself, especially not if you begin, if you are alone and if you take the C++ path.
The level editor was the main thing I was worried about.
Quote:Original post by jyk
Quote:Original post by FOXGEAR
I've already got C++ and Game Programming books (though I could always use more) but what other programs and skills do I need? i.e. models, animation, levels, graphics, etc. Preferably recommend free stuff. :)
C++ is just a language specification; it's not something that you 'have'. Do you mean that you have an IDE, e.g. Xcode or Visual Studio?

Aside from a compiler or IDE, you'll need libraries for graphics, sound, and so forth. For generating content (i.e. models, textures, etc.), there are many free applications available. In fact, I think there's a stickied thread on the topic in the Visual Arts forum.

Of course it will require considerable skill and experience to use these tools to produce an actual game. You didn't mention how much programming experience you have, but if you're only just starting to learn to program, it'll be a while before you can leverage the aforementioned tools to their full potential.

Also, it's worth mentioning that there are much easier ways to create a game than building it from scratch using C++, so don't think that that's your only option.

I meant I have C++/Game Programming Books. And I know C++ isn't the only way, but I would like to get into the language of the big dogs, so I'm learning it first.

And does anyone know tutorials on how to use open gl and other libraries with compilers?
There is no language of the big dogs -- the big dogs know multiple languages.

I'd recommend C#+XNA or Python+PyGame over C++ + ??? for getting started (lets you focus on actually learning to program / program games, instead of learning a list of language warts and workarounds), but it's your choice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement