• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Keego7237

Legitimate, but Cheap, Laptop

This topic is 3636 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to find a cheap (<$700) laptop which can be used for programming games (not too graphically intensive ones), playing games about as system taxing as Civilization 4, and web programming (so it will need to be able to run Apache Tomcat). I don't have too much experience with laptops so thought I would ask here. This is the one am currently considering: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147787 Any thoughts?

Advertisement
If you're not playing First-Person Shooters or other first person 3D games, then the Intel X4500HD is probably going to be good enough graphics for you, which will save cost. Similarly, while larger development might need 4 GB of RAM, you can get away with 2 GB RAM for the applications you suggest. Most important is to get enough pixels on the screen (1440 is better than 1280, for example) and a faster CPU if possible (although the price will race when you start adding T9xxx series CPUs).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!