• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Antonym

An Editor

This topic is 3694 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to program my own 3D rpg (hoping upgraded to mmorpg in the not so distant future) using c++ and directX. I want to program a tool kind of like the map editor of wc3 for my rpg to help layout things perhaps even set stats and so on to ease in the development. I was wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials on doing such a thing, books or information? Any would be much appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
Quote:
I was wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials on doing such a thing, books or information?
You can’t get tutorials for whole non-trivial programs. At that point, the application is complicated enough that you need to be put together various independent concepts.

I assume you are already significantly experienced, in that you can comfortably write, say, a roguelike or some RPG that is only text based or 2D? Since you eventually intend to write an MMORPG, you have significant free time, and experience in dealing with issues in multiplayer programming?

Well this is my first attempt at a project though I do know my way around directx and c++. Right now I am reading 'Programming Role-playing games on DirectX' by andre lamothe right now to help me in my endeavor. I plan to keep it simple, this is to learn. I am not planning to go after the mmorpg until I suppose a year from now or so. I do have plenty and plenty of spare time, not doing anything at the momment, not in college, not in a job. Been reading some books on the subject, most of my spare time right now has been going to becoming good at this, started just a couple of months ago though.

What concepts?

Break it down in smaller tasks and it will be easier...
- create a level editor
=> create, load, save and display levels
- display levels
=> render level, move around camera, etc...
- render level
=> get a window to display level on, draw the level using camera

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!