• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chrpeter

2D MMO

This topic is 3641 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I am a student at UAT. I plan on setting up a team next semester to make a 2D MMO. I understand this will take time and dedication but we are up for the punch. I am currently plan on using allegro/C++ and am wondering where to start? What things should we start considering. A game doc has already been written. Is allegro a good language to do this in? Also what kind of tools will we need to make. For example sprite editor, armor and weapon editor...etc. Any ideas? Also we need to take this one step at a time. Where is a good place to start coding. What are some good 2D MMO tools already out there? For example what would be a good level editor, or should we create our own? I'm up for any and as much information as possible. Thanks!

Advertisement
Well, the biggest consideration is understanding the paradigm of client/server development, what is handled by the server, and what by the client (what can be trusted, and what cant), load balancing and optimization of the server, and communication issues. Try to stay within the MVC (model-view-controller) design pattern as much as possible, separating logic from display heavily.

As for tools... that is completely dependent. I developed a small MORPG a long while back, and used a postgre database for storage of almost everything. I was able to come up with a schema where all gear and loot would fit within the same piece, and had an optional "script" attached to it (which was actually a small piece of Java which was executed)

Anyways, you were not real clear here with the information you wanted, can you be more specific? What sort of apps have they had you develop already? There are ALOT of difficulties when writing an MMORPANYTHING, and it is awfully hard to explain the development process without using the context of other games, etc.

Jusr my 2c

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!