• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
echeese

2D shadowing - need help

This topic is 3638 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need a bit of help with a problem I've been having. Basically, I'm working on a tile based game, with point lights all over the place. Currently, I am rendering the light, and then putting shadow polygons extending from the edges of the wall tiles. Then the composited shape is multiplied onto the game map, every frame. To help speed it up, I'm using a quadtree to only render lights that are onscreen, and the grid to only render shadows that are both onscreen and within the light radius. I'm guessing there's probably a better way than casting a shadow shape for each tile. Do you have any suggestions for speedup? EDIT: This is only for the dynamic lights, btw.

Advertisement
If Your shadow polygons for one light are overlaping, then You could use the z-buffer to save fillrate and prevent shadows from overdarkening. Just clear the z-buffer before rendering the light. Then render shadow polygons with depth test and write enabled.

Well, I'm trying to make the actual calculations faster, and i'm doing this this in software (for a number of reasons)

Flaws I see with my current approach are that walls that are already in shadow are calculated anyways.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!