• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
In_Yack_Mode

Allegro questions

This topic is 3636 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am working on building a small RPG in Allegro and have a few levels now I want to make a menu that you control with the mouse I have read some of the Allegro manual which didn't help. It seems more like a reference than a learning resouce. How do I get the mouse to read input in Allegro? Another question I have is about saving the level your on and stats. How can I do that? Is it a C++ thing or can I do it in Allegro? I am sorry that my questions are generic if you need any more info please ask. I'm not sure what else you would need to know. Thanks

Advertisement
In my opinion, the best place to pick up the basics of Allegro are in the examples that come with it. They're neatly broken down into topics (like mouse input - see exmouse).

As for saving data, that can be done with both C++ and Allegro. I'm not familiar with Allegro's version but there is info here, in the manual.

Thanks for the links. They seem like they would be helpful but every time I click the
Quote:
exmouse
Getting input from the mouse.
Description
Example exmouse
This program demonstrates how to get mouse input. The first part of the test retrieves the raw mouse input data and displays it on the screen without using any mouse cursor. When you press a key the standard arrow-like mouse cursor appears. You are not restricted to this shape, and a second keypress modifies the cursor to be several concentric colored circles. They are not joined together, so you can still see bits of what's behind when you move the cursor over the printed text message.
italic part which is a link it just opens the same page in a new window is this a bug or am I missing something?

Yeah, does the same thing for me in both Internet Explorer and Firefox. Likely a bug. It's probably meant to link to the c file but that's available in the examples folder of your allegro library or online (like here).

Great thanks that will make my game much better. As for the saving I think I'll just use the C++ way. Thanks for the link to the Allegro ones though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!