Please Help Me Get Started

Started by
15 comments, last by Z_of_Thule 15 years, 5 months ago
Well as of now i have been very bored with life since high school has started. I have been busy with band (marching band) and the marching season is alsmot over just one more competetion for state and we are all done. After that I will have tons of free time becasue we do not have events all the time in concert season. I am looking to start a project on a game. I have really never finished a game before and have never had anything to show. My idea for a project would be a online old school ultima based game with some rogue and gauntlet influences. I do not really know how to acomplish this but I am willing to do all that it takes. What progamming language should I learn if i want this project to suceed? What sort of reserch should I do? Do you have any links to online e-books that I could learn the programming language from without having to spend a penny on books? Thanks alot guys I hope you can all help me and I can get this project underway. . With your help, and some determination I might be able to create a long-lasting amazing game that I can call me own. One with a faithful playerbase, and good times. Forget to say I have not really much programming experience I could write you a calculator program in perl :)
Advertisement
Read the FAQs, sheep.
And http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson56.htm might be a useful read too.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Your question is a common one; everybody who asks this question gets the same answer. I'll sum it up and skip the sugar-coating:

You can't make the game you want to...yet. That'll be several years of work and dedication.

Choose a language (C++, Java, C#, ...) and start learning it. Make little text games, which turn out to be far more work than was implied by 'little.' Don't bother with graphics right away.

You can learn probably all of a language by using free, online resources. Anything beyond learning a language and you'll have to spend money on books.
Would C be a good place to start for making the type of game as described?
You mentioned free as part of the requirement: you can use Python with Pygame or Pyglet. Python is free and easy to use. Just another possibility....

Python
Pygame
Pyglet

Yes but the game language does need to be strong engonth for a orpg game.
Quote:Original post by sheepymind
Would C be a good place to start for making the type of game as described?

No, look at object-oriented languages.

Quote:Original post by sheepymind
Yes but the game language does need to be strong engonth for a orpg game.

You can't make an orpg. Read the replies.
Don't use C. If you're inclined to use something so low level use C++ instead. But really for what you're doing C# and Python should be more than adequate.

As an aside, I'd recommend learning the languages before trying to make a game. Once you realise how much work goes into the simplest of programming you'll have a better idea of what is achievable.
Have you considered using C# and XNA? It's great for beginners and helps you get started with the actual game-making without having to worry too much about the more technical side of getting 3D graphics onto the screen.

Personally I use C++ and OpenGL, for which there are loads of tutorials out there to help you get started, but be warned if your not a particularly good programmer then this is a more difficult option. If you do decide to go the OpenGL route, it could be worth you investing in "The Red Book" (OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide To Learning OpenGL), it's helped me no-end since I started.

As for your game-idea, I like the sound of it, when it's done I'd love to play it :) I would recommend you start small though and work up to it :p
hi, above all have suggest good advice, they all should be helped you.

All the best!
kunal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement