New to actual programming...RTS Help please!

Started by
5 comments, last by Lavarider 15 years, 5 months ago
Hello all! Here is the deal. A few friends and I have come up with an incredible (at least we think so) concept for an RTS game. We have ideas for all units and everything else in he game. We have created 3ds max models for the game, and now we wish to start the programming part of the game. However...we are all new to programming *cringe* If you would be so kind as to tell me what we will need to do to make the game work, I would be most appreciative. Let me run through what we do know. We know we need an engine. We have torque, or we can make one ourselves if you say that will be better. We wish the game to be in 3d, preferably Directx 8 or 9. We are willing to take the time to learn things (we expected the game development to take about 2 years more anyway). ALL of us have large amounts of game modding experience, and understand the fundamental concepts of an rts. Other than that, we need guidance. Im not asking for a step by step tutorial here, but if you could give me info on how we begin to do the job, I can finally get our dream into reality...thank you very much!
Visit the website for The Art of War!!!Visit My Website
Advertisement
A project like an RTS is no short order, so I would wager your best bet is to find a talented programmer, someone with an existing portfolio. Since you have assets, you've got a good shot at finding one... programmers get tired of using their own crappy art :)

Since you're willing and interested in dabbling in programming, you'll get a good start by working with someone experienced.
I know you said that you don't want a step by step tutorial, but you should take a look at Programming an RTS Game with Direct3D. It has some good information on programming RTS games (obviously!).

Edit - you may have to research some of the topics more in other places. For example, the author describes how to implement AI, but it is fairly simple, so you may want to research more advanced AI topics online.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." - Gandalf
Quote:Original post by Lavarider
we need guidance. Im not asking for a step by step tutorial here, but if you could give me info on how we begin to do the job, I can finally get our dream into reality...thank you very much!

First you need to write the game design.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/specs.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson13.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Ok, thanks all. I really appreciate the help. I purchased the book that you recommended, Ryan123, it looks like it may have what I need in it, so thanks.
Tom Sloper, I don;t really understand. Are you saying that you want me to tell you what the concepts and guidelines for our game actually are? I will post them, if that is what you wish.
Quote:Original post by Lavarider
Ok, thanks all. I really appreciate the help. I purchased the book that you recommended, Ryan123, it looks like it may have what I need in it, so thanks.
Tom Sloper, I don;t really understand. Are you saying that you want me to tell you what the concepts and guidelines for our game actually are? I will post them, if that is what you wish.

I believe he is saying that you should create a game design document for your own good more than for everyone else on the forum. Writing this helps to get your ideas down on paper and flesh out all the details you need.
Oh, haha, I see. No need for that, we did that weeks ago.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement