• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JimDaniel

Need Help With Simulation Design

This topic is 3634 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm designing a game which functions partly as a simulation, and I can't figure out how to approach the design. Basically I want a group of townspeople who I want to be autonomous, and not only autonomous but have their actions and interactions propel a storyline with branching possibilities. The single player character should be able to participate in this storyline, but also be able to just sit back and watch it unfold. His presence should not be required. My trouble is how I even conceptualize a design for a system like this. What I mean is, should I create some kind of virtual model for this system, which plays itself out regardless of the player, and only visualize whatever portion of the model the player is experiencing at a given time? Please point me in the right direction. Thanks for any help!

Advertisement
Well it sounds like you just want a game with artificial intelligence. How familiar are you with both of those?

Quote:

should I create some kind of virtual model for this system

How is this different from a game?

Quote:

...which plays itself out regardless of the player, and only visualize whatever portion of the model the player is experiencing at a given time?

That sounds about right.

The difficult part of a simulation is creating the artificial intelligence to correctly simulate your world.

Yes, thanks for the reply. I was unsure my method was the right approach, and wanted to see what more experienced game developers thought.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!