I Want To Create A PHP Text Based Web Game

Started by
1 comment, last by JLink 15 years, 5 months ago
I am new to programming and although HTML and php , it's similar forms I already know, I would like to learn PHP but I have no clue where to start. I have been playing this game online for over a year now, and I have yet to find anything similar, so I want to take a jab at creating it. The game is www.thecrims.com and in my mind and i get bored and have tried several other game that are similar but they in no way compare, if anything they look like hacked up copies of KoC and with lots of bugs too. I would like to try to make my own game similar in the general format but my own style and ideas and and well in no way shape or form similar to the game other than the way in which you interact with it. I know this sounds confusing but I am hopeing that someone can understand what I am trying to say and maybe point me into the right direction to start my online game Thanks my email : tamer_7osney@msn.com
Advertisement
Start with the online PHP manual, here. You read everything (documentation, examples, user discussions) on all the pages in sections "Language Reference", "Security" and "Features". You may also choose to read "Function reference" sections of your choice as a practical exercise, but it is not necessary.

Then, look into some elementary security concepts such as SQL Injection, XSS and XSRF.

Follow up with other generic information such as HTTP (the various modes, the versions, the headers, the return code), the XHTML format, character encodings (mainly latin-1 and utf-8).

As far as storage goes, you will probably end up with a MySQL database. I suggest you examine in detail the elementary theory of relational databases and database normalization, while also reading the MySQL manual (mostly sections 1-3 and 8-12) and trying things out for yourself. I strongly suggest the use of phpMyAdmin in the learning phases. Again, don't forget SQL injection issues.

That's about all you will need to know to create a working text based game in PHP.
PHP's dynamic nature comes from it being able to access a database to pull all of this information from, so in order to make a PHP game, you'll need to learn about databases and SQL. An oversimplification of what you’ll be getting into with databases/SQL would be saying that the PHP page will be setup to look up and use data from a spreadsheet for determining how the next resulting page or action will occur. In reality, there are many different tables which relate to one another in some fashion, and it’s up to the developer to design and manager all the different interrelations so that all of the data can work together. There’s lots of thought that goes into designing even a simple set of relations (tables), but it’s definitely a fun field to get into, even as a hobby.

w3s gives a pretty quick overview of this here[\url].<br><br>EDIT: ToohrVyk: You make me feel insignificant :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement