• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DaphydTheBard

Help Request (XNA World of Warcraft M2 Conversion Tool)

This topic is 3666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all. I was wondering if anyone would be prepared to help me out with a little tool I've developed, which I'm having a couple of minor issues resolving. So far - I've written a class (C#, XNA) which can load WoW M2 files, and create a MilkShape3D ASCII format file, with the mesh, UV coords, the skeleton with correct bone hierarchy and bone placement, and the mesh rigged to the skeleton. The problem I'm having is with the animation data. I can load it fine, but I'm doing something wrong with the export into the milkshape format. The animations get all messed up when I try and run the animations in milkshape. I'm probably doing something wrong with my quaternion conversions, or something, but I've been trying to fix this for a couple of days now and I'm stumped. I'm looking for some help with getting this working. Anyone up for providing some assistance? PS: In case anyone's wondering, I'm writing this class purely so that I can use WoW models in my personal XNA projects. I have no intention of breaching Blizzard's copyright or releasing converted models to anyone. What people do with the class once it's complete is entirely up to them :) Look forward to any replies. Cheers Dave

Advertisement
Heya, I'm wondering how progress on this is, and if its available at all?

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near capable of helping with my current abilities (and wont be in the near future =( ), but I'm quite interested to have a play with it for my own amusement if you're happy to share =)

I don't remember off the top of my head, does Milkshape support vertex weighting? If not, that may be your issue as WoW models use vertex weighting.

Dave,

In spite of your claim to be doing this for your own personal research, I encourage you to be very careful with this project.

First, there's no reason for you to be using WoW models in your projects when there's publicly available models on websites such as Turbosquid which you can use for free.

Secondly, should you ever decide to show someone your projects you'd be legally obligated to remove all WoW models anyways, as failing to do so would violate copyright. This means wasted effort, as your loader would never be able to be used.

And finally, your comment, "What people do with the class once it's complete is entirely up to them" is both morally debatable and unethical. It's the equivalent of "I don't steal car stereos, but I made this really cool device that allows people to do so effortlessly."

Clearly if the tool has no other use than to steal car stereos, how you use it or how you encourage other people to use it is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that you become complacent in the act of piracy.

I'm not going to close this thread just yet, however I encourage you to reconsider your reasons and intentions for developing this library.

I wrote this tool for the warcraft modding community.

Also, it was a learning exercise for me, for creating my own content importers for XNA.

The Warcraft modding community already rip models out of WoW, to create Machinima (cartoon strips, artwork etc). I just though that an extended tool that could also handle animations would be useful.

I see your point tho. I won't comment further on this here.

Quote:
Original post by DaphydTheBard
I wrote this tool for the warcraft modding community.

Also, it was a learning exercise for me, for creating my own content importers for XNA.

The Warcraft modding community already rip models out of WoW, to create Machinima (cartoon strips, artwork etc). I just though that an extended tool that could also handle animations would be useful.

I see your point tho. I won't comment further on this here.

I should make a note that Blizzard Entertinment actually encourages the use of their model data for this purpose (Machinima), so if this is your intention then you have nothing to truly fear from Blizzard. As long as you're not distributing their models and instead distributing a method of grabbing the models for themselves.

Once you cross the threshold and distribute their model data in your own projects though, then you may have a problem (though you say you aren't so it's not an issue)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!