• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kyklos

Building a multi-faceted 2D game with a game mod software

This topic is 3690 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

***********SCROLL DOWN IF YOU WANNA SKIP MY INTRO*********** Hi, I've been in the game community since I played centipede on an old IBM PC and Loderunner on the old Macs about 20 years ago. Ever since then game design and game mechanics have been in the forefront of my mind, always trying to come up with something fun, dynamic and interactive. I've had a few stints at attempting to make my own computer games mods in the past with modding software. Marathon, Quake(3), Unreal(Tournament), Wolfenstein 3D, Warcraft(1,2,3) simcity(2000,4), Escape velocity, and a load of others I can't remember now. It always intrigued me to design new mods for my favorites but it was lacking. Recently I've started to congeal an idea for a game that I would love to create but am lacking the platform. My programming knowledge is next to non-existant(i'm learning actionscript2 for work) and I must admit I have much more of a artist/designer than a programmer mindset. I'm willing to learn programming but would prefer not to if there is another way. I find that I pick up on modding software relatively well. I've been perusing this site when I can and have found many valuable resources but still find it a little exhausting in its depth for what i'm looking for. I apologize for asking this if there is a place where it is already displayed somewhere inside this encyclopedic site. *********READ THIS IF YOU WANNA SKIP MY INTRO************* I want to know if there is a game engine out there with modding software that will enable me to make a game with in-depth 2D-Sidescroller,RTS, and RPG capabilities all in one? If not should I just learn C/C++?

Advertisement
well i'd love to try it out but unfortunately i'm restricted to a mac. Since I'm learning Actionscript2 and then probably eventually 3 i could just do it in actionscript but i'm just afraid that it will be very laggy since it doesn't directly acess the hardware for graphical support like programming languages and game mods do.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!