• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
choffstein

Books / Articles on the coming new C++ Standard

This topic is 3687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any books coming out, or some articles already written, summarizing (with examples) the new changes in the C++ standard. I downloaded a rough copy of it, but couldn't drag myself through it. I learn by doing ... and reading it was just painful. There are only a few major changes from what I can tell...but I want to make sure I get the finer points as well. Thanks

Advertisement
You can find a fair number of examples on the committee members' blogs, like this one.

Wikipedia has some simple examples too on their C++0x page.

Finally, you can obviously just try to experiment with them. I believe GCC includes support for a lot of the new features, and the CTP of VS2k10 which was released a few days ago supports lambda expressions, r-value refs and a few other minor features.

About g++ (the GCC C++ compiler) status: http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html

See also: http://beans.seartipy.com/2006/12/10/getting-started-with-c-tr1-libraries/

I am sure it has been discussed to death somewhere on GD ... but after reading through Wikipedia, I get the feeling that instead of fixing the core problem, the standards folk just added more spaghetti to the mess to allow C++ to catch up to more modern languages...

Only to fall behind again in a few years as the modern languages make changes?

Is anybody happy with the changes in C++? Besides updating and maintaining legacy code, the extra bloat doesn't seem to justify the new changes. I think newer languages, designed from the ground up with the concepts in mind, have much more elegant solutions (and therefore syntax).

Please don't take this as a C++ flame. I used C for about 4 years and C++ for ~3. It will always have a special place in my heart.

But when starting a new project ... with the time it takes me to learn the new C++ methodology, might I just be better off mastering C#?

What are everybody's thoughts? Necessary changes? Too verbose? Just right? Not enough change?

Thanks!

C++ failed as soon as it tied itself to C compatibility. Well, not failed but made it impossible to compete with general purpose languages developed more recently.

C++ doesn't need to add things to make it better, it needs to remove things.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!