Books / Articles on the coming new C++ Standard

Started by
6 comments, last by DevFred 15 years, 5 months ago
I was wondering if anyone knew of any books coming out, or some articles already written, summarizing (with examples) the new changes in the C++ standard. I downloaded a rough copy of it, but couldn't drag myself through it. I learn by doing ... and reading it was just painful. There are only a few major changes from what I can tell...but I want to make sure I get the finer points as well. Thanks
Advertisement
You can find a fair number of examples on the committee members' blogs, like this one.

Wikipedia has some simple examples too on their C++0x page.

Finally, you can obviously just try to experiment with them. I believe GCC includes support for a lot of the new features, and the CTP of VS2k10 which was released a few days ago supports lambda expressions, r-value refs and a few other minor features.
Ah, Wikipedia ... that was way too obvious.

Thanks! Time to get reading!
I like videos better than articles.
About g++ (the GCC C++ compiler) status: http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html

See also: http://beans.seartipy.com/2006/12/10/getting-started-with-c-tr1-libraries/

I am sure it has been discussed to death somewhere on GD ... but after reading through Wikipedia, I get the feeling that instead of fixing the core problem, the standards folk just added more spaghetti to the mess to allow C++ to catch up to more modern languages...

Only to fall behind again in a few years as the modern languages make changes?

Is anybody happy with the changes in C++? Besides updating and maintaining legacy code, the extra bloat doesn't seem to justify the new changes. I think newer languages, designed from the ground up with the concepts in mind, have much more elegant solutions (and therefore syntax).

Please don't take this as a C++ flame. I used C for about 4 years and C++ for ~3. It will always have a special place in my heart.

But when starting a new project ... with the time it takes me to learn the new C++ methodology, might I just be better off mastering C#?

What are everybody's thoughts? Necessary changes? Too verbose? Just right? Not enough change?

Thanks!
C++ failed as soon as it tied itself to C compatibility. Well, not failed but made it impossible to compete with general purpose languages developed more recently.

C++ doesn't need to add things to make it better, it needs to remove things.
Quote:Original post by DevFred
I like videos better than articles.

Just found a brand new
">video on youtube.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement