[C++] Heterogeneous arrays storing the type?

Started by
1 comment, last by Decrius 15 years, 5 months ago
Yes, another hetero-array question ;) Suppose I have an array of type "pointer to base class" and I add "pointer to child class" instances. So far, one can call any function of a child class if it's specified as a virtual in the base class. However, I need to cast the "pointer to base class" to a "pointer to child class" in order to call functions that are _not_ specified as virtuals in the base class. Since the child class, beside a few required basic functions (which are specified virtual in the base class), the child class can have an unlimited number of other functions one should be able to call when one has the "pointer to the base class". The problem, you have to know which child class is stored in order to be sure what function calls you can do. I thought of something like this, but it has a few flaws:
class _Item // base class, to allow heterogeneous arrays (of type _Item *)
{
};

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

template <class T>       // the class used
class Item: public _Item // derived class, allows the use of any class (using templates)
{
public:
    T *pointer;

Item(T *poiner) :
    pointer(pointer)
    {
    }
};

class T
{
public:
    void f()
    {
        std::cout << "Invoked\n";
    }
};

int main()
{
    T *t = new T;

_Item *items[1];
    items[0] = new Item<T>(t);
    //items[0].pointer->f();

delete items[0];
    delete t;
    return 0;
}
This way the user would set the type as template parameter when it adds the class to the array and it will remember the type. However, pointer is not specified in _Item, so I can never use that in the code. Ultimately, I would like any call, any operators, function calls etc, be passed onto the template type T immediately... So, in other words, can I remember a type and not require the user to cast to this type when he wants to use child class functions? Or is this not what I should want to do?
[size="2"]SignatureShuffle: [size="2"]Random signature images on fora
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Decrius
However, I need to cast the "pointer to base class" to a "pointer to child class" in order to call functions that are _not_ specified as virtuals in the base class.

That's not the idea of polymorphism. Why do you think you need that?
Quote:Original post by DevFred
Quote:Original post by Decrius
However, I need to cast the "pointer to base class" to a "pointer to child class" in order to call functions that are _not_ specified as virtuals in the base class.

That's not the idea of polymorphism. Why do you think you need that?

Well, I've made a signal and slot system, where connected functions, when a signal is emitted, will be called. These functions must have 1 parameter: a "pointer to base class". This pointer is passed and points to the child class (child of the base class) who emitted it.

So, in a child class called "Child", it will only ever pass a Child * ('this', for the child). And Child2 will only ever pass Child2 *.

So, I could use templates and initialise the Signals class in the Child instead of the base class...yeah, that might work...let me try :)

[size="2"]SignatureShuffle: [size="2"]Random signature images on fora

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement