• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
icethelog

Problem with mouse roll when using arcball.

This topic is 3688 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I am passing in a y and x movement from the mouse into a function, along with a 3D point in space. It then alters the camera x,y and z co-ordinate so you can move it around this 3D point in a sphere shape. My problem is that the camera rolls on its look axis, which I don't want it to do. I basically have no way of figuring out how to fix this. Would it involve altering my initial function, or taking the right, up and look vectors for the camera and then altering them so the camera has not rolled? Here is my code: void CCamera::RotateAround(D3DXVECTOR3 vCentre, float x, float y) { //Calculate the radius D3DXVECTOR3 vD = vPosition - vCentre; float fDistance = sqrt(vD.x*vD.x + vD.y*vD.y + vD.z*vD.z); //Calculate look at vector vLookAt = vCentre; //Work out movement phi += x*0.01; theta -= y*0.01; //Calculate the rotation vPosition.x = fDistance * cosf(phi) * cosf(theta); vPosition.z = fDistance * sinf(phi) * cosf(theta); vPosition.y = fDistance * sinf(theta); //Prevent camera from flippping upside down. if(cosf(theta) < 0){ vUp = D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f,1.0f,0.0f); //Set up to 0,1,0 } else { vUp = D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f,-1.0f,0.0f); //Set up to 0,1,0 } } If it involves changing the right, up and look vector of the view matrix, how would I change them? I am terrible with the math involved for this. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!