Total beginner (Well mostly hehe)

Started by
5 comments, last by Hollower 15 years, 5 months ago
I've read various articles on this site, and reccomendations for books, etc. I have coded in various languages (not WELL but basics at least) such as Python, DarkBasic (If you want to call that a programming language ;)), and some C#. I have had an interest in C++ for a long while now, and I really like it, C# doesn't do it for me. But we all have opinions. I have started to read http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ and I am going to use this set of tutorials to learn the basics of C++. However, There are no excercises, is there any website that has exercises pertaining to the subjects? It would be really helpful in the learning process :D I would love to get into game development, which is what I mainly want to do. But my main goal of game programming is to make oldschool games alive again. (Revive them, remake, or make totally new ones) (Hehe, I guess so I and maybe others can relive their childhood? hehe) Anyway! I have a few more questions: 1. How much C++ would I have to know to get started in game programming? 2. My main interest is 2D games and semi-2D games (such as wolfenstein 3D) Do you need an engine for these? Libraries? Most source codes I've looked into don't use libraries. I know you do for 100% 3D, but do you for this area of interest? 3. What are the main methods of 2D game creation? Thank you very much, and I am sorry my first post is a long one. ;)
Advertisement
For what you're after, you really don't need to know any mainstream languages, because there are Game Creation Systems out there which can do the basic stuff for you, and allow it to be mostly point-and-click in the creation.

Adventure Game Studio for Adventure Games
RPG Maker for JRPGs
Fighter Maker for fighting games

If you know exactly what you're after, most likely someone has already made something for it.
1. It depends on what kind of games you want to make :) It's a bit like asking "I'm interested in carpentry, and want to make a book shelf. How much do I need to know about carpentry in order to make a book shelf?

At the least, if you are going with C++ you should at least know the very basics of the language - loops, functions, control statements (eg: if, switch statements), classes, and probably pointers. With that sort of knowledge you should be able to make a decent text adventure game. From there it's just a matter of getting practice with the language and picking up various libraries to do the graphical end of things for you.

2. You don't need an engine per-say, but definitely some sort of library unless you plan on coding absolutely everything yourself (which is a total pain in the butt, so I've heard). Allegro seems to be fairly popular for this sort of thing (never used it myself, but it seems to have a decent reputation).

3. This question is a bit ambiguous. What exactly do you mean? Do you mean dragging and dropping bits together in some sort of editor to create a game or coding things from scratch?
To Moe>

Yeah I'm sorry for the last question, I'll rephrase it, I was just wondering how most 2D games are made nowadays, I guess it's similiar to question 2. Most 2D games I looked into use DirectX's Direct3D or GDI+, but always wondered if those were just libs or if there was an engine used to create them.

But I really appreciate your answer, thanks =)
I'm still a young programmer myself, so I could only answer two of your questions.
Quote:Original post by DreamDSK
1. How much C++ would I have to know to get started in game programming?

Understand the basics of classes, and definitely you need to know pointers. Also, be familiar with the more common standard library classes, such as std::vector. This is for simple games; if you are wanting to make larger games, you need a larger amount of knowledge.

Quote:2. My main interest is 2D games and semi-2D games (such as wolfenstein 3D) Do you need an engine for these? Libraries? Most source codes I've looked into don't use libraries. I know you do for 100% 3D, but do you for this area of interest?

You always need a API to draw graphics to the screen; C++ doesn't handle graphics for you. Whether that API is raw Win32 code for Windows OS programs, or a decent 2D graphic API, you still need a library of some sort.

I recommend SDL (here's a good tutorial), because I use it alot and find it simple to understand.
Allegro gets mentioned occasionally, and Haaf's Game Engine has some popularity.
SFML I keep hearing people talk about too, and I'm personally planning to try it for my next game.

There are others as well; choose one and google its name to get loads of good tutorials.
Thanks everyone :)

Does anyone happen to have C++ exercises to practice the main points on? This way I can get accustomed to how all of the C++ basics work.

Two excellent free textbooks with exercises:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement