Sign in to follow this  
chrpeter

XNA vs. Allegro for a 2D MMO

Well, the main difference would be that XNA is .NET while Allegro is unmanaged C++. In terms of capability, I dunno, but I'd guess they're pretty similar -- my advice would be if you're more comfortable with C++, use Allegro, if you're more familiar with .NET, use XNA.

Another point would be that XNA is for Windows/XBOX/Windows Mobile, while Allegro is for Windows/MacOS/Linux (but not XBOX or Windows Mobile).

I can't comment on Allegro, but I personally really like XNA. I've only recently got back into games programming, and it was a real shock to me how easy XNA was compared to the olden days of raw DirectX7 :-)

I'm assuming this is for the same project in your other thread (for school). If this is something you hope to get done in one semester then I would highly recommend XNA/C# over Allegro/C++. You will likely be able to get more work done faster, and with fewer errors. Unless you are much more familiar with Allegro/C++ than XNA/C#. Even then it would probably be close, considering the time it takes to learn C# from C++.

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
my advice would be if you're more comfortable with C++, use Allegro, if you're more familiar with .NET, use XNA.
Seconded.

Quote:
Another point would be that XNA is for Windows/XBOX/Windows Mobile, while Allegro is for Windows/MacOS/Linux (but not XBOX or Windows Mobile).
XNA doesn't support Windows Mobile. XNA supports Windows XP/Vista, Xbox 360, and Zune.

Quote:
Original post by NickGravelyn
doesn't support Windows Mobile. XNA supports Windows XP/Vista, Xbox 360, and Zune.

Oh that's right, sorry. It's Zune not Windows Mobile.