2D MMO

Started by
5 comments, last by chrpeter 15 years, 5 months ago
We are planning to start a 2D MMO mod project next semester. What part of the game should we start coding first? Battle system, enemies, AI, the world, etc. Also, can we make the entire game and then implement it into multi-player? Or should we start off with the networking coding and then make the game? Open to any advice...Thanks.
Chris Peterson
Advertisement
I am by no means an expert, but I think I may have a few tid bits of insight.

First of all, networking isnt something you can just add to a project, that doesnt mean it needs to be done first, but it needs to be kept in mind. That being said, for a MMO, you need two actual programs, the server and the client.

The server is what actually runs the game, taking care of the logic and whatnot (stuff you dont want a player to muck around with), and the client is basically just a renderer.

Secondly, the first thing I always take care of, is get the game to a playable point. It is alot easier afterwards to add things or make changes when you can hop in an try it out. After that, its really up to you to decide what you want to work on.
Quote:Original post by chrpeter
We are planning to start a 2D MMO mod project next semester.

Is this a school project? If so, what are the goals and how much time do you have for it? If not, what are your personal goals for this project?

Quote:What part of the game should we start coding first? Battle system, enemies, AI, the world, etc.

Are you unsure where to start, or do you simply wonder what's best to start with? If you're unsure, then are you at least certain that you're capable to pull this off, or is it better to scale down things? If you're wondering, then what do you think yourself, and why? On a side note, how much experience do you have with building games?

Quote:Also, can we make the entire game and then implement it into multi-player? Or should we start off with the networking coding and then make the game? Open to any advice...Thanks.

A multiplayer on-line game heavily depends on, well, being on-line, so I wouldn't wait with it if I were you. Having that said, how much experience do you have with networking? If none, consider getting familiar with that first, before jumping into such a project. Writing a few prototypes before starting on an actual implementation will give you valuable insight.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
We are planning to start a 2D MMO mod project next semester.

How many games have you programmed, from start to finish, to this day? I just hope you don't choose an MMO as your first game.
Remember the old adage: 'Ready, Aim, Fire'

Ready: Plan your game story, do your market research, look at similar games etc, etc.
Aim: How are you going to do this? Choose your language, platform, game engines, artwork sources, type of network (TCP/UDP/HTTP?), distribution method etc, etc.
Fire: Start coding!

In other words coding is the last thing you should do. The first thing is to create a document you can show to games execs/investors/tutors and have them say: 'This is a good idea and it can be done!'
We are planning to start a 2D MMO mod project next semester. What part of the game should we start coding first? Battle system, enemies, AI, the world, etc.

All of them.

Quote:Also, can we make the entire game and then implement it into multi-player?

No.

Quote:Or should we start off with the networking coding and then make the game?

You start with basic networked game loop (see Q28).

Quote: Open to any advice...Thanks.

Don't use C or C++.
Thank you. I am great with C++/C# and was planning on using either DirectX, Allegro(C++), or XNA(C#). I can make games but we are unfamiliar with the networking aspect of the project.
Chris Peterson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement