Sign in to follow this  
rohini chandra

Unable to call LoadUserProfile( ) successfully

Hi, I am working on a application(windows service) where I need to load the user profile to fix a fault. The existing code spawns another process using CreateProcessAsUser(). Below is the order in which the API's called to spawn a process. 1.LogonUser(user.c_str(), domain.c_str(), psw.c_str(), LOGONTYPE, LOGON32_PROVIDER_DEFAULT, &Token); 2.ImpersonateLoggedonUser(Token); 3.CreateEnvironmentBlock(lpEnvironment,NULL,true); 4.CreateProcessAsUser( Token, NULL, "test", NULL, // Process attr NULL, // Thread attr TRUE, // Inherit handles CREATE_NEW_PROCESS_GROUP | DETACHED_PROCESS | CREATE_UNICODE_ENVIRONMENT, lpEnvironment, // Environment "C:\", // Working directory &si, // Startup info &pi // Process info ); I am trying to call the API LoadUserProfile() in the below manner before CreateProcessAsUser()but I am getting ACCESS_DENIED_ERROR. ============================================================= if ( !SetPrivilege( Token, SE_RESTORE_NAME, true) ) { printf("SetPrivilege(SE_RESTORE_NAME) failed for the token with error :%d",GetLastError()); } if (!SetPrivilege( Token, SE_BACKUP_NAME, true) ) { printf("SetPrivilege(SE_BACKUP_NAME) failed for the token with error :%d",GetLastError()); } PROFILEINFO profile; profile.dwSize=sizeof(profile); profile.lpUserName =(char*) user.c_str(); profile.dwFlags = PI_NOUI; LoadUserProfile(Token,&profile); ============================================================== Below is the SetPrivilege() function(source:MSDN) used to enable the two privileges. =============================================================== BOOL SetPrivilege( HANDLE hToken, // access token handle LPCTSTR lpszPrivilege, // name of privilege to enable/disable BOOL bEnablePrivilege // to enable or disable privilege ) { TOKEN_PRIVILEGES tp; LUID luid; if ( !LookupPrivilegeValue( NULL, // lookup privilege on local system lpszPrivilege, // privilege to lookup &luid ) ) // receives LUID of privilege { printf("LookupPrivilegeValue error: %u\n", GetLastError() ); return FALSE; } tp.PrivilegeCount = 1; tp.Privileges[0].Luid = luid; if (bEnablePrivilege) tp.Privileges[0].Attributes = SE_PRIVILEGE_ENABLED; else tp.Privileges[0].Attributes = 0; // Enable the privilege or disable all privileges. if ( !AdjustTokenPrivileges( hToken, FALSE, &tp, sizeof(TOKEN_PRIVILEGES), (PTOKEN_PRIVILEGES) NULL, (PDWORD) NULL) ) { printf("AdjustTokenPrivileges error: %u\n", GetLastError() ); return FALSE; } if (GetLastError() == ERROR_NOT_ALL_ASSIGNED) { printf("The token does not have the specified privilege. \n"); return FALSE; } return TRUE; } ======================================================================= I have assigned the privileges SE_RESTORE_NAME and SE_BACKUP_NAME to the local group in which the user is a member.I have enabled these two privileges before calling LoaduserProfile().I am not able to undestand which/what privileges are missing. The SetPrivilege() seems to have succeeded since I did not get any error messages. Below is what I observed in the userenv.log ================================================================================ USERENV(2bd8.2700) 10:00:01:963 LoadUserProfile: Yes, we can impersonate the user. Running as self USERENV(2bd8.2700) 10:00:01:963 ========================================================= USERENV(2bd8.2700) 10:00:01:963 LoadUserProfile: Entering, hToken = <0x384>, lpProfileInfo = 0xe2f464 USERENV(2bd8.2700) 10:00:01:963 LoadUserProfile: lpProfileInfo->dwFlags = <0x1> USERENV(2bd8.2700) 10:00:01:963 LoadUserProfile: lpProfileInfo->lpUserName = <delta> USERENV(2bd8.2700) 10:00:01:963 LoadUserProfile: lpProfileInfo->lpProfilePath = <8î³> USERENV(2bd8.2700) 10:00:01:963 LoadUserProfile: lpProfileInfo->lpDefaultPath = <À6³> USERENV(2bd8.2700) 10:00:01:963 LoadUserProfile: lpProfileInfo->lpServerName = <‹ð‰uÐ…ö„,E> USERENV(2bd8.2700) 10:00:01:963 LoadUserProfile: Failed to enable the restore privilege. error = c0000022 USERENV(2bd8.2700) 10:00:01:963 LoadUserProfile: Returning FALSE. Error = 5 ================================================================================ As I understood from the log,the privilege SE_RESTORE_NAME is not enabled. But,I see the same error when I do not try to enable the privileges,when the privileges are not assigned and also when I enable the privileges. Are there any other privileges that need to be assigned and enabled? The service is running under Local System Account. When LoadUserProfile() is called before calling ImpersonateLoggedonUser()(i.e.outside the impersonation scope),LoadUserProfile() succeeds. What I understood from this is that since the API is called under the Local System Account when called outside the impersonation scope,it succeeded because of the higher privileges the Local System Account has. Also,what is the difference between passing a token from LogonUser() and token from OpenProcessToken()to LoadUserProfile()? Could anyone please help me by letting me know where I am going wrong. Thanks in advance. Best Regards, Rohini Chandra