[.net] Mono for game development

Started by
0 comments, last by Spodi 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi, The Mono people are doing interesting work when it comes to improving .NET for use in games. For instance, they are adding support for SIMD instructions in their CLR. I hope Microsoft will follow the move.
-- Top10 Racing Simulation needs more developers!http://www.top10-racing.org
Advertisement
That is definitely interesting. People have been requesting support for SIMD instructions for a while in .NET, and someone went as far as to even add support for it through some hack (don't remember the name/link, but I'm sure someone else here can supply it).

I've always wondered what has been taking Microsoft so long to add it. Although I don't think it is going to be very useful in the form of only getting it through explicit calls to it (would be nice to have it available also through compiler optimization or, although probably unrealistic, JITting), it would at least help shut up those who complain about .NET being slow and not supporting it. ;)

Doesn't sound like Mono had much of a problem implementing it, either. So maybe either Microsoft has something big planned, like much tighter integration into the rest of the managed code (instead of just dumping in SIMD instructions, which is not going to always be ideal), or maybe just no one down there is convinced it would be a good addition. If the latter, hopefully Mono's addition of it will help convince them. :)
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement