Sign in to follow this  
Vertex333

Difference between large (few drawcalls) and small shaders (many drawcalls).

D3D10: I use instancing and have the option to either call more draw calls with smaller shaders or less draw calls with bigger shaders. Numbers: About 100 different techniques. For each one draw call. They could be combined lets say to about 25 techniques. The additional transfer of the variables for the bigger shaders can be ignored due to my architecture. Every technique will be maximal called by one !DrawInstanced! once a frame. Is there a noticable difference on the CPU performance between 100 and 25 drawcalls (that is what I am most interested in)? What would be faster at all (now GPU performance included)? Thx, Vertex

Quote:
D3D10: I use instancing and have the option to either call more draw calls with smaller shaders or less draw calls with bigger shaders.

I thought that by doing instancing you our making less draw calls hence the benefit of instancing?

From my understanding less state changes and draw calls the better, but i am a bit of a newb :p

I was reading some discussions here on gamedev about Ubershaders and Supershaders, seem to be close to what you are talking about.