Sign in to follow this  
IntuitionGames

.ogg in/with XNA

Hi there. I don't post here often, and I'm sure a question similar to this must have been asked before... But I didn't see one and I'm having a terrible time finding an answer. In the game I'm making, the original engine we were using supports .ogg by default. We decided to switch to XNA to actually run the game, though. We didn't even think about it, but XNA doesn't natively support .ogg files. So, we're not -entirely- sure what we should do. Our finished soundtrack as .ogg is about 77 megs, which is big by itself. With the .adpcm format, one of the few XNA supports, it's more than double that. Nearly 180 megs. Does anyone know a bit about this? What our options might be? I've heard of outside programs running alongside games to get around this problem, and I was directed to Fmod, but I don't really enough about either of those things to be of much help to our programmer. Any information anyone has would be helpful... thanks very much!

Doesn't XMA compressed audio work on the PC nowadays? I thought they were bringing that support in but I never checked up on whether they actually did it.

Failing that, you could use SlimDX to access XAudio2 or DirectSound on the PC, and XMA through XNA (confusing, I know) on the Xbox. I also stumbled on this page while googling that seems to allow using WMA on Windows.