Sign in to follow this  

error with vector of class with const members

This topic is 3357 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When attempting to compile I receive the following error; "non-static const member `const std::string Cat::m_name', can't use default assignment operator" Why and what can I do, other than making 'm_name' not a constant, to fix this? I probably don't need to make m_name constant since I don't plan on offering a method which would allow changing it but I was curious about the error nonetheless. Thanks.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <vector>

class Cat
{
    public:
        Cat(std::string name);

std::string getName() const {return m_name;}

private:
        const std::string m_name;

};

Cat::Cat(std::string name)
  : m_name( name )
{}

int main()
{
    Cat spot("spot");
    std::cout << spot.getName() << "\n";

std::vector<Cat> vCat;
    vCat.push_back( Cat("fido") );  // <-- The error message is triggering on this.  

std::cin.get();
}

Compiler: Default compiler Compiler: Default compiler Executing g++.exe... g++.exe "C:\Main\Tools\Dev-Cpp\MyStuff\Tests\constMember.cpp" -o "C:\Main\Tools\Dev-Cpp\MyStuff\Tests\constMember.exe" -I"C:\Main\Tools\Dev-Cpp\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\include" -I"C:\Main\Tools\Dev-Cpp\include\c++\3.4.2\backward" -I"C:\Main\Tools\Dev-Cpp\include\c++\3.4.2\mingw32" -I"C:\Main\Tools\Dev-Cpp\include\c++\3.4.2" -I"C:\Main\Tools\Dev-Cpp\include" -I"C:\Main\Tools\Dev-Cpp\boost_1_34_0" -L"C:\Main\Tools\Dev-Cpp\lib" C:/Main/Tools/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/bits/vector.tcc: In member function `Cat& Cat::operator=(const Cat&)': C:/Main/Tools/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/bits/vector.tcc:238: instantiated from `void std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::_M_insert_aux(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<typename _Alloc::pointer, std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc> >, const _Tp&) [with _Tp = Cat, _Alloc = std::allocator<Cat>]' C:/Main/Tools/Dev-Cpp/include/c++/3.4.2/bits/stl_vector.h:564: instantiated from `void std::vector<_Tp, _Alloc>::push_back(const _Tp&) [with _Tp = Cat, _Alloc = std::allocator<Cat>]' C:\Main\Tools\Dev-Cpp\MyStuff\Tests\constMember.cpp:27: instantiated from here

Quote:
Original post by Belgium
I probably don't need to make m_name constant since I don't plan on offering a
method which would allow changing it but I was curious about the error nonetheless.

std::vector requires the object to be assignable, which by default has to change the m_name value. If you do not wish to support assignment, don't use std::vector or manipulate the object by pointer.

Sign in to follow this