Sign in to follow this  
Asheh

Model scale + origin

Im working on a team project ive not had much experience with using models before and the artists havent either. But we have managed to get all the models to a scale so that they are all relative, but one issue im unsure of is that they are really small in the world. Such that 1 meter represents about 0.07f in the game world and since the models are rigged, they cant be scaled without being re-rigged... which takes time. WIll this cause problems with floating point accuracy? It might be a silly question not sure. Also, again the models origins are set wrong on some of the models, but I was thinking I can compute the bounding box of the models so that I can sit them on the floor and ignore their actual origin. Since I spawn a model at 0,0 but when exported its sat far away from the origin, so thats how it appears in the world. Is there a way to load models and reset their origin to the center of the model? I understand these seem like simple questions I just have little experience with them. Thanks. Ash.

In my experience it has been bad, messy and unmaintainable to compensate for the resources that come in. A strict guide line should be laid out to which both the programmers/tool enginers and the resource creators (be that artists, musicians) must abide. I strongly recommend you establish a scale with the artists and have them recreate or adjust any art that they need to.

You should not have to be involved when they add assets unless the requirements of the asset pipeline changes.

Scale is not so much of a problem anymore but will it cause problems that the scale is so small?

The origin is a problem how does the .x model loader always load them so they spin about their 0,0,0 orgin?

the orientation issue has to do with differing coordinate systems between direct X and some modeling apps like 3DSMax...There may be an option in the exporter that allows you determine the coordinate system.

Scaling should make no difference at all.

Its not an orientation issue. its the fact the origin of the model is wrong. I.E its not centered about 0,0,0. The model sits far away from the origin like -30,-30,-30 because thats how it is in max.

But loading the model in .x file loader, it seems to ignore this, why/how is this done?

Thanks.

I haven't worked with the X format but with my own 3DS MAX exporter. We had our artists put a box with the model that provided scale and center information.