Java vs. C++?

Started by
21 comments, last by anemian 15 years, 5 months ago
Obviously, if you can find out what your first programming class will use, learn that. Then, and this is a point that is often glossed over, use that first class to enhance and flesh out your knowledge of the language. Don't flake out because you THINK you already know it, use the class to make sure what you've taught yourself is as complete as you can make it.

If you don't know what you'll be taking, then go learn both. Really. Java might be a better intro to object-oriented programming, C++ will allow you to learn more hardware-level stuff along side your object oriented programming. But knowing both will make you a better programmer, and with every programming language you learn the next one gets easier to pick up.

I personally don't like Java, but I'm far from even decent at it, so maybe if my knowledge was complete I'd be in love with it.

IF you want to quickly dive in and make a game, Java will be far easier. I'm talking games on the level of Tic-Tac-Toe and Pong here. Everything you'd need is built right in and there's tons of tutorials out there. Doing that in C++ is a bit tougher, and might be frustrating for someone just starting out.
Advertisement
c++ gives you more power when making a game, BUT IS NOT FOR PEOPLE STARTING OUT IN PROGRAMING!!!
Quote:Original post by Z_of_Thule
c++ gives you more power when making a game, BUT IS NOT FOR PEOPLE STARTING OUT IN PROGRAMING!!!

Perhaps you can give an example of this power? Something that can't be done if you're programming in Java?

Both languages are equally "powerful" and can express the same things, although sometimes one language may be a lot more verbose than the other.

Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
c++ gives you more power

Perhaps you can give an example of this power?

C++ can order anchovis pizza with a single line of code:
i++ + i
Quote:Original post by DevFred
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
c++ gives you more power

Perhaps you can give an example of this power?

C++ can order anchovis pizza with a single line of code:
i++ + i

LOL!
Ain't it the truth.
Anyways, don't confuse power with freedom. Java is like your boss telling you what you have to do and how you have to do it whereas C++ is like I don't care how you do your job as long as you get it done.
I think this quote explains what I am trying to say the best:
"In C++ it's harder to shoot yourself in the foot, but when you do, you blow off your whole leg." — Bjarne Stroustrup.

Thus I recommend you learn Java since if you haven't already made up your mind since it makes it impossible to blow off your leg-LOL!
You can do that later with C++ if you want;)

p.s. Here's another pretty good quote I just came across I never seen before that sums up my feeling on C++ if you haven't already noticed:
"Writing in C or C++ is like running a chain saw with all the safety guards removed," — Bob Gray.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I think I'm going to go Java first.

Now onto another question, which book would be better?

Beginning Java by Ivor Horton (or something like that)

or

Head First Java

or

possibly something else?

Thanks!
I recommend The Java Tutorials.
This space for rent.
I second the advice about the Java tutorials. There is really no use paying for a book on a subject that is covered very well by material that is freely available.

I have taken two separate courses that use Java, and each time those tutorials were better than the book or the instructor.
Quote:Original post by Simpsons4261
Beginning Java by Ivor Horton (or something like that)

The Java Tutorials are good, but this book is, IMO, the best introduction to Java out there. It's more in-depth than the Java Tutorials, covers a lot of bases, and makes a great reference even after you are comfortable with the language.
1) Professional Games Made In C#?
2) Java for game development?
3) Java----C/C++
4) c++ or c#
5) Question about Java Vs. C# Vs. C++
6) Java Games?
7) Java is fast?
8) Secondary Language:VB or Java?
9) What makes C++ so powerful?
10) C# games and cheating...
11) Is C# good enough for system utility programming
12) MC++ vs. C#
13) Which language is best for a 3d Games Engine?
14) C# vs C++ as a choice for development
15) Is Java the Future?
16) why C# and not Java?
17) What do you think of the D language?
18) my c++ d c# benchmark!
19) The Definitive Guide to Language Selection
20) Sharp Java
21) C++ or C#?
22) C++ or C#?
23) Java disadvantages
24) C++ or C#?
25) Visual C++.net vs Visual C#.net
26) C# - huh?
27) which language should i learn?
28) C or C++ or C#
29) learn C or C++ ??
30) Is C still useful in gamedev?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement