• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By bowcox
      Hi guys! 
      I have created a Pong game that has an AI that is almost beatable, changing the speed of the AI can make it ridiculously easy or hard depending on the way you go about it. 

using System.Collections; using System.Collections.Generic; using UnityEngine; public class ComputerMovement : MonoBehaviour { private float speed; private float reAdjustSpeed = 1f; private Rigidbody2D computer2d; public static bool isTwoPlayer; GameObject theBall; Rigidbody2D rb2d; void Start() { computer2d = GetComponent<Rigidbody2D> (); } void FixedUpdate() { if (isTwoPlayer == true) { speed = 5f; if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.W)) { computer2d.position += Vector2.up * speed * Time.deltaTime; } if (Input.GetKey (KeyCode.S)) { computer2d.position += Vector2.down * speed * Time.deltaTime; } } if (isTwoPlayer == false) { speed = 3f; if (theBall == null) { theBall = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("Ball"); } rb2d = theBall.GetComponent<Rigidbody2D> (); //Is the ball going left or right if (rb2d.velocity.x > 0) { if (rb2d.velocity.y > 0) { if (rb2d.position.y > computer2d.position.y) { MoveUp (); } if (rb2d.position.y < computer2d.position.y) { MoveDown (); } } if (rb2d.velocity.y < 0) { if (rb2d.position.y > computer2d.position.y) { MoveUp (); } if (rb2d.position.y < computer2d.position.y) { MoveDown (); } } } //Whilst it's not moving at the paddle, let it gain a slight reset by moving with the ball at a slower pace. if (rb2d.velocity.x < 0) { if (computer2d.position.y < 0) { computer2d.position += Vector2.up * reAdjustSpeed * Time.deltaTime; } if (computer2d.position.y > 0) { computer2d.position += Vector2.down * reAdjustSpeed * Time.deltaTime; } } } } void MoveDown() { if (Mathf.Abs(rb2d.velocity.y) > speed) { computer2d.position += Vector2.down * speed * Time.deltaTime; } else { computer2d.position += Vector2.down * speed * Time.deltaTime; } } void MoveUp() { if (Mathf.Abs (rb2d.velocity.y) > speed) { computer2d.position += Vector2.up * speed * Time.deltaTime; } else { computer2d.position += Vector2.up * speed * Time.deltaTime; } } }  
      I have looked up several posts across many different forums in order to create a much better AI. Most of the posts recommend that I use Raycasts to find out exactly where the ball might hit the paddle. I have looked up how to use them and I'm just completely lost, do raycasts consider collisions and go on infinitely or once they hit a wall, that's where it'll end up? Would anyone be able to help me understand raycasts a little better? 
      If you have another solution that enables me to calculate exactly where the ball will end up on the opponents side, I am more than willing to hear it
      Thanks again if you read this!
    • By eldwin11929
      We're looking for a Unity (C#) Programmer for our 2D Project. We're looking for a new lead programmer to continue with an existing project.

Project is an open-world RTS, and is very close to a prototyping (playable) phase. Our existing lead, unfortunately, has no more time for the project, and thus we are in search of a new one who is interested.

Game is purely fantasy based, and we'll be able to give you much more detailed info about the project as we begin to work you into it.

You'll be working with our junior developer, who has been here since the beginning.

Primary skills needed are just being able to work within Unity. But skills within XML are also a plus.

Our list of major goals we'd need you to do is minimal, yet still fairly extensive:
      -Edit our current Pathfinding system to account for a few extra features.
      -Setup our global map system. You’ll be working off an existing random node-map web generator and existing random map generation system and essentially linking the two together. This includes handling random spawns (which has already been semi-setup) unique to each node’s respective map.
      -Further implementation of an existing random spawning algorithm (used to spawn things like enemies randomly across the Map).
      -Making sure to Save and Record all respective aspects of what was mentioned above.
      -Handling our XML database- database is created, but we’ll need to be integrating it. This includes all various things from units to abilities and so forth. Will also need to handle implementing an object’s unique attributes we cannot take care of within XML.
      -Various Content Implementation (to be done once our XML has been integrated).
      -Various Saving and Recording of all respective aspects of the database info mentioned above.
      -Various Performance Enhancements.
      -Potential for various misc things, such as further UI work.
      -Setting up a Menu system.

We have a considerable amount of things done already- however I must warn ahead of time we have quite a bit of unclean code, which may be fairly overwhelming for a new developer on the project.

Let me know your rates per hour, and we'll see if we can work out a good deal between both of us. Royalties are also included.

If interested, send an email to: eldwin11929@yahoo.com

Thanks!
    • By jhocking
      My bestselling and highly recommended Unity book has been fully revised! Unity in Action, Second Edition teaches you to write and deploy games with the Unity game development platform. You'll master the Unity toolset from the ground up, adding the skills you need to go from application coder to game developer.

Foreword by Jesse Schell, author of The Art of Game Design

Don't take my word for it being good, look at the sky-high ratings on GoodReads.

You can order the ebook directly from the publisher's site, or order the book on Amazon to get both the physical book and a coupon to download the ebook!
    • By ThunderTwonk
      Hello everyone, I am working on a game idea and since I am still in the process of learning C# and the features available in unity I was hoping some of you might be able to offer me a little insight on things in general for getting started.
      I guess the basic components of what I'm wanting to create would be a Multi-levels management/city builder/rpg.
      The goal is to provide a framework for players to interact with, build in and affect the world both from a 3rd person action RPG as well as a zoomed out 4x style view (This would be something unlocked through gameplay)

As for my questions go I was wondering if anyone had resources that could help me learn.  I've been on youtube as well as enrolled in an online course for basic unity and C# and will continue those but if anyone has any words of advice, a place that has good information and tutorials etc.

Thanks for your time.
    • By Cahit Karahan

Hi, I'm new in this forum. It is honorable to see such communities exist. I would like to share my new game. I did for android with unity. I know the game is a little awkward , but you have to know that this game is from the time when Unity's name is Unity3D  I have made my first game when I was 12. Now I am 22.  I have taken a lot of experience in this process and I can make better games nowadays. I have published this game nowadays but actually this game is very old but also it is very special for me :))
      I have just wanted to retouch and share this game, because it has a very important place for me.

DESCRIPTION FROM GOOGLE PLAY STORE

It's a special free 3D horror adventure action game for the halloween. Fun with scary sound effects and musics, 3D realistic graphics, you will feel the horror in the deep of your heart. Use your reflex. Totally free adventure. Totally scary horror game. 

Tamarra, she is a beast from our world. She needs to consume souls from innocent people to stay alive. Story begins, the old Elaris tribe had lost their everything because of this beast who lived in the well. Araknas was the most powerful warrior of the tribe. One day, Araknas's mother was killed by the servant beasts of Tamarra. That's how Araknas's journey to the well begins. Tamara's well is guarded by horrible beasts. Araknas has to pass all servant beasts until he reaches Tamarra.

Even death at the end is worth the revenge. 
      Are you brave enough to jump into Tamarra's well?

Survive from witch attacks, clown attacks and many scary creature.

- Realistic 3D graphics.
      - Scary sounds.
      - Scary musics.
      - Best experience with headphones.
      - A demon cage where you can imprison all the demons one by one
      - The witches do not like help, but they love blood stone. Witch store where you can develop your abilities and get new abilities.
      - Countless beasts.
      - At the end of the well there is a hidden surprise for you.

*We do not recommend this game to people with clown phobia, spider phobia, or panic attacks.*

**!!!**Note : This game is an early-access game, we are upgrading new features every day, new beasts, new improvements, as an example online 1vs1 fall on the list, so stay on connect and follow Halloween : Horror Well on Google Play.**!!!**

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Unity Finally, the Scripted Event System (Used in our Wii game)

This topic is 3455 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, This is Jacob from RiverMan Media. Several months ago, my brother Paul posted an article on the behavior system we use in our games. The topic generated quite a bit of discussion. Well, finally after almost 9 months, he's posted the followup to this article, where he describes the scripted event system he uses in our games, including the recently released MadStone for WiiWare. Here's the link: http://rivermanmedia.com/programming/6-programming/28-object-oriented-game-programming-the-scripted-event-system Even for an artist like me this article was very interesting. It goes into how he coded all of MadStone's cinema scenes with just a few lines of code, and how these techniques can also be applied to game mechanics, etc. Hope you enjoy! Jacob www.rivermanmedia.com [Edited by - riverman_jacob on November 8, 2008 11:39:14 AM]

Advertisement
Hm, it seems your brother is slowly re-discovering by himself the most popular methods already used in the industry :P

Interesting read nevertheless.

Hey everyone, this is Paul from RiverMan Media.

I always imagined that there were probably similar systems out there when I came up with the idea. What might be unusual about our version is how it works in conjunction with our Behaviors system, which is a like a hybrid between pure composition and a pure type heirarchy for game objects. I gathered from our discussion on Behaviors on this forum that such a hybrid system is less well-known in the industry, but I really like it :)

I think that the Behavior System and the Scripted Event System have a strong synergy when used together, perhaps more so than a pure component system or a pure type heirarchy would have with scripted events.

Scripted Events don't necessarily benefit from a pure type heirarchy because game object behavior is not separated from the object itself (and thus you can't put that behavior into the script). However, a traditional type heirarchy does make it easy to deal with the code executed when the listening object hears the script's callback.

A pure component system does take advantage of the fact that the components themselves could be script elements, but the listener code that would go into the game object would also have to be a component. In this case, the component system requires that you write a bunch of components to handle all of the different code that is executed when the script's many different listeners hear the script's callback. The components also have to deal with the communication between script and listener.

The Behaviors System, as the hybrid between the two, combines the benefits of both. Much of your game objects' capabilities/actions are already encapsulated into Behaviors, which can be part of the script. And dealing with the callback is easy, because each listener can specify what it wants to do when the script is done in its own code.

I'm not sure if that made any sense, but it's my guess :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement