how to get art resources?

Started by
2 comments, last by Captain P 15 years, 5 months ago
Hi all - I have developed a small 2D side scroll game. Everything about the game is great, except for the art, which I did myself. What is the recommended course of action to get higher quality art for my game? I don't want to pay that much for the art because I don't plan to sell my game. Thanks in advance, tuphdc
Advertisement
Have you seen the thread Sprites, sprites and more sprites!?
Don't miss this one: http://charas-project.net/resources.php
Quote:Original post by Kambiz
Have you seen the thread Sprites, sprites and more sprites!?
The only issue with that thread being that a lot of the linked material isn't legal to use in your project - it's great to just grab some graphics to put into your prototype game that you don't release, but not so good for a finished game or for anything you want to sell or give away (your project being free or not has no impact on copyright!).

How to bootstrap your indie art needs addresses the options you've got available to you; it essentially boils down to designing games that will work with what you're able to produce yourself, making good creative use of what you can get for free, or paying for art.

If you're looking for stuff you can get for free to use in your projects, the GameDev.Net wiki has a page of Game Content Resources which includes a few links to additional resources. In particular the spites provided at Lost Garden, in SpriteLib and at Reiner's tiles are free and legal if you can find something of use. Depending on your game this free airplane sprite pack may also be useful.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your game! [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

You could, if you want to, spend some time training your artistic skills. Now, not everyone has the same amount of talent and insight, but practicing a bit shouldn't hurt. Who knows what you can come up with. :)

If that doesn't work however, or if you lack the time or interest for it, you could ask a friend to do some art for you, or otherwise, find some free or cheap art on the net.

Having a few connections here and there is pretty useful indeed. That's how I got into contact with my current employer. That's how I was able to playtest various of my levels. I've also helped out a few friends with their mods or games by creating some models. And besides that, it's fun to share insight and stories. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement