Sign in to follow this  
Efuddy

Want to write a "Risk" clone...

I want to write a simple clone of the video game risk. I used to code in Java years ago. Does anybody know where I can look for help with basic game development in Java? The most graphics I've ever done was coding in coding a checkers game. It's been years since I've coded anything more than Visual Basic macros and functions, so ANY advice for a beginning game programmer would be awesome. Thanks!

Well, search gamedev.net for beginning game programming. As for java game development - try searching google.

Here's one that looks alright, but I haven't looked very deep into it.
Java Boutique

Basically, if you're comfortable with the syntax, then look into general game development articles. Even reading tutorials in C++ and writing the equivalent Java code would help you understand the structure.

Btw, do you mean the board game Risk?

There’s no big secret in game programming. It is programming in the end, so the same skills you use in writing other programs you use in game programming as well. You had previous experience in Java? Build on that. You said you already wrote a checkers game. Why the lack of confidence then? Build bigger games now.

If you’re rusty, go back for a refresher. Java has its tutorials up online, so write some basic programs to refresh your mind. Then get to work.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I'm gonna try to make a clone of the board/video game risk, then build on it for a more grand strategy type of game.

I'm gonna try with the basic JDK and see how it goes!