• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Doggan

C# - defining a generic function 'type'

This topic is 3513 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a function: void Foo<T>(). This is a generic function. It is called in a few locations in the code. Let us pretend type T is the level I want to play. So: Foo<Level_1>() does something to level 1, etc... For a given execution of code, I only want to test a single level. This means all of the type T's in my code need to be the same for a given execution. Currently, I have to do a find/replace all every time I switch the level for testing purposes. In C/C++, this would be a simple job for macros: #define MY_LEVEL Level_1 Foo<MY_LEVEL>() How can I get the same behavior in C#? Thanks.

Advertisement
I'm by far no c# expert but what your doing sounds like you
need to wrap your execution in a delegate based unit test.

Judging by that horrible mix of macros and templates, I'd say you have a design problem. I also noticed Foo doesn't take any parameters, seems you would want it to know what level to work on based on type.

What you should have is a class(I'll call it Level) that contains code common to all your level files. Store an instance of it somewhere and change Foo to something like:

void Foo( Level level ){}

When you want to test a different level just change the file the level is loaded from:

Level level = new Level( "Level2.map" );
Foo( level );
Bar( level );

There's no real need to use generics here either. Each level should not require it's own class. What if your game has 100 levels, are you going to make Level_1 all the way to Level_100?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!