Board

Started by
7 comments, last by Asafe 15 years, 5 months ago
HI,I'm just getting start in .net and I'm learning c++. I would like to get information of how is the simplest way of create a board for a graphic game.Still best if in c++. Sorry by miss of knowledge and my bad English.
Advertisement
Use a 2D array.
But can I use it to do a graphic board?
Quote: HI,I'm just getting start in .net and I'm learning c++.
.NET and C++? Why not C#? If you’re just getting started, I’m going to throw this idea out, because if you go the .NET route, you really want to stay with C#.

Quote:But can I use it to do a graphic board?
A 2D array to do a graphic board? Well, a 2D array might be involved. Programming languages don’t have concepts of graphics and boards. It’s something you need to define.

Oh, and if you have not had experience in programming games, making a game that has graphics is a not a great idea. You do want a beginner’s foundation at the very least. And have written some text only games.
I'm already moving in c++ .I'll learn c# when I domain the other c.
A board that I meant is like of a chess game.I would like to know what topics I would need to know to do it,what tools ,this stuff.
Thanks for your good will.
Quote:Original post by Asafe
A board that I meant is like of a chess game.

What graphics API are you using?
Quote:Original post by Asafe
I'm already moving in c++ .I'll learn c# when I domain the other c.
As oler1s said, C++ and .NET are a pretty terrible combination, especially for learning. C# is an order of magnitude simpler than C++, and .NET is designed specifically to be used from C#.

Quote:A board that I meant is like of a chess game.I would like to know what topics I would need to know to do it,what tools ,this stuff.
That really depends on how you plan to do it - there are many many graphics APIs which could be used to draw a game board. At the very least, you will need to learn to program, and then learn a graphics API.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Well, if you don't have any experience in game programming, I would recommend picking up a good game programming book. Game programming is a fairly complicated subject (even displaying a game board for chess) so you need a good foundation in game programming so you can understand how and why everything works. Also when it comes to game programming in C++, every book, online example/tutorial that I have read use native C++, so I would not recommend using .NET in C++.

For a beginner to game programming in C++, I recommend these books:

Beginning Game Programming, second edition / ISBN: 1598632884

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Programming-Second-Jonathan-Harbour/dp/1598632884/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226326740&sr=1-1

This is an excellent book to get started with. It teaches you the basics of working with DirectX 9. The only requirement is that you need some C++ knowledge before reading this book.

Game Programming, All in One, Third Edition / ISBN: 1598632892

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Programming-All-One-Third/dp/1598632892/ref=pd_sim_b_1

This book uses the Allegro game library, so you don't have to worry about Direct X programming and its nuances. The main focus in this book is game programming itself, but once again, you do need some C++ knowledge before starting this book.

C++ Primer Plus, Fifth Edition / ISBN: 0672326973

http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-5th-Stephen-Prata/dp/0672326973/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226327198&sr=1-1

This book is for the absolute beginner to C++ programming. If you are having trouble understanding game programming in C++, I highly recommend this book.

If you still want to use .NET, as was already suggested, I would use C#. If you want to use C# for game programming, I recommend XNA Game Studio 2.0. C# is based off of C++ and Java with a little bit of Microsoft flavor thrown in, so any programming skills that you learn in C++ are easily transferable to C#.

At any rate, I highly recommend picking up a game programming book to learn about game programming. If you find a better game programming book then what I have suggested, by all means, pick it up!
Thanks for your help.
When I said about .net i meant I use Visual Studio.
To c sharp I intend to study but not so far.
The all books you said appears to be very good however I'm poor (sniff) I really can't buy them.
If you still have some tips I would be grateful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement